Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epson V700 accept a refurbished?

Re: Epson V700 accept a refurbished?

Quote Originally Posted by kevs-2323668 View Post
    Rick, that does not answer at all because the refurbished come at a huge discount because it's been used massively. (I buy refurbished to sometimes and would have bought this refurbished if it had been out there)

I think Roger is putting himself more in the shoes of one who bought new.

BTW, if they did agree to send one new, how would know it was indeed new?

And do you agree the are being idiots not answering emails and just doing what is right?
    What I meant was: No, I don't think refurbished units are likely to be unacceptable. And it wasn't a huge discount by any means, which reflects the only slightly higher risk.

I took your question to wonder whether refurbs represented an unreasonable risk, and I don't think they do.

But you can always send yours back for repair, if you can live without it for the time it will take.

Rick "thinking a new replacement is not something Epson is obligated to provide" Denney

No, they're not obligated. It would be nice of them, though. Too many companies these days do only what they are obligated to do, and not what would be the best thing to do to build customer loyalty.

But if they are offering to fix it, take them up on it. And the worst that happens is they end up sending a refurb anyway because it can't be fixed or something and, well, the OP still gets a working scanner, after paying slightly more than a refurb would normally sell for. In the overall scheme of things, if that's the worst that ever happened to me, I'd be very lucky. IOW, I'd try to get it fixed if I could wait, but I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it if I did end up with a working refurb.

I used to work with the refurbishing process for a major electronics manufacturer. The vast majority of the products flowing through the process were buyer's remorse cases and the product was never used. But everything went through many Q/A process with test jigs and manual inspection. Any minor cosmetic blemishes were repainted and I could never tell the difference between those and brand new. Any dents or deep scratches caused the case to be replaced. I never saw a unit leave the plant that didn't look brand new. Any mechanical parts that showed any signs of wear were replaced.

Receiving a refurbished product may not feel good emotionally, but from a practical standpoint you are receiving essentially a brand new product. There will be a sticker, however, that says "refurbished" so that could affect resale value.

What is your point Jim? !
    ok roger/ greg. thanks.
    Well it a lot easier to go refurb. they send the box and you just swap.

BH said they would conact them for me. I lean towards Rogers post about trying for repair.

I just got a refurished Nespresso coffee make a couple of months ago. also $500 machine. It looked new. But it did have problems a few months later. I just can't help think of wear and tear on reburbs, maybe I'm wrong.

There's no guarantee that what Jim's company did was what they all do.

I too have had some stuff bought as refurbs just not last as long as I'd expect a new unit to last. I'd BUY a refurb, knowing that and with appropriate discount, but if I bought a new unit for new price and it didn't work properly - well I'd try to return it during the return period. Failing that, or if it failed just outside the return period, I'd do as I suggested above.

thanks.

Generally speaking, I'd rather have a refurb than new with electronics. You know every single individual scanner has been looked over by a real human being and certified to be working and looking as new. New products are just machine inspected and the company accepts a certain incidence of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I think ep$on does that with most of the crap they sell. ask them to at least clean the glass first too.
    LOL That Epson 1280 I bought about 9 years ago and that my wife uses every day sure was a piece of crap.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

You guys talk of 6-9 years like it's ages. Maybe for electronics these days that's acceptable. My enlargers are 20-40 years old and i only replace bulbs when they stop working. My drum scanners (i bought two) are coming up on 15 yrs and cost me less than half of what my v700 sold for. And yes, the epson 3200 was a piece of crap.

thanks, would love someone to figure out what causes the marks.