Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else interested in 5x8 processing for color films?

Anyone else interested in 5x8 processing for color films?

Putting a "feeler" thread out here to see if anyone else who's been shooting 8x10(or 5x8 already) has any interest in 5x8 processing of color(C-41 AND E-6) films? I'm interested in this primarily due to the rising cost of film from Kodak and Fuji, and after doing some scans(both drum(DPL8000) and flatbed(Epson 1680,both wet and dry scans) of 5x8 sections of some 8x10 negs/chromes in the past few weeks, the quality level is beyond my "requirements", and the elongated format is more to my liking than the 8x10 format anyhow. Plus you get (2) shots for every 8x10 sheet cut down ... So I've been toying with the idea of having a 5x8 back made for my KMV 8x10 camera. Plus 4-5 holders from Chamonix.

I'm waiting to hear back from IconLA here in Los Angeles(www.iconla.com) and Edgar Praus(Praus Productions), I might contact LTI in New York as well, since their reputation in the pro market is very good. All the above labs offer services in E-6, C-41, and B/W(although I do my own b/w, in trays).

Now I know that many people might ask "why not just shoot 5x7"?
    Well, for ME, 5x8 is just about right proportions-wise. I don't care about the "golden proportion" or anything, it just works. Plus, there's not waste of film(literally throwing $$$ in the trashcan if cut to 5x7)

so, anyone else interested in petitioning a few labs(maybe the ones I've already mentioned) to see about offering this size in their catalogs?

A new(or multiple) rack would have to be made(or a 5x7/8x10 one modified) for this, so some startup cost would be needed, but I'm not in the Jobo/DIY camp any longer. I prefer to hand off processing to someone who specializes in this sort of thing. Especially for color. B/W I can do myself.

cheers,

Dan

Re: Anyone else interested in 5x8 processing for color films?

Dan, before you give up on doing your own colour processing, have you tried the Tetenal C-41 kit?
    It's easier than processing B&W, and I've processed 60 4x5 sheets on one liter of chems.

My own lab here will only go up to 5x7, anything larger and the film gets clipped.

flavor of the week?

Hey Ari,

No, but frankly I'm more interested in shooting than processing my own film. I don't have the capabilities currently to do it myself, nor the time. Kodak and Fuji chems have always been good to me(as long as the lab mixes them right), so I figured why change.

I've also stated openly to each lab I've spoken with that I'm willing to pay for the rack to be mod'd, or a new one constructed if needed. I'm serious about this, but maybe one phone call isn't enough to persuade them

The guy I spoke with @LTI sounded like he thought I was nuts for requesting an 'odd size, but he said he'd ask his production manager if they could/would do it.

I have high hopes that I'll be able to find a commercial lab that'll handle this request, it just might take some persuading

Dan

It would be cheaper to cut your 5x8's in half and send them as 4x5's. Nice way to make a diptych, automatically more arty than a 5x8. Or just be sensible and go to 4x5. I am guessing they need 5x8 film like a hole in the head. or a head in a hole.

I have been shooting 5x8 off and on for several years now, currently on again. I have had a chamonix 5x8 and a Shen Hao that didn't work out. Just recently I got Ebony to build a 5x8 back for my 810slw. I think I finally have the right combination. I love the format and I love being able to stretch my film twice as far.

I process my own on a Jobo ATL. The 4x5 3010 drum works perfect for 5x8. Cutting film is a pain in the ass but the final product makes it well worth it for me.

www.timeandlight.com

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    It would be cheaper to cut your 5x8's in half and send them as 4x5's. Nice way to make a diptych, automatically more arty than a 5x8. Or just be sensible and go to 4x5. I am guessing they need 5x8 film like a hole in the head. or a head in a hole.
    I'm not interested in it being "arty", but practical. I like shooting 8x10, but the more I look at my past shots, I can successfully crop some of them down to 5x8 proportions.

4x5 is too small FOR ME, its it about cost either. I'm willing to buy 8x10 color film @ current prices(even though it stings the wallet and I feel the prices are assinine. I don't put myself in debt, I'm not stupid, I've taken 2nd and 3rd jobs this past year to save money for just this kind of thing).

Someone out there will help me out, it might just take some time.
    I'm just wondering if there are some others here who shoot 5x8 and want to both stretch their money farther per 8x10 sheet, and want to continue to shoot color film and get it processed by a reputable lab somewhere here in the USA.

I'll continue to contact labs around the country, if anyone has any recommendations for further labs that might be willing to take on such a task, please let me know.

Thanks,

Dan

Well I received a call back from Edgar Praus in Rochester this morning.He stated that he ALREADY HAS a rack made for this format! And he can do both E-6 AND C-41! Yowza! Thanks Edgar! Now to get the 5x8 back ordered up and some holders.

Dan

Too bad LTI doesn't want to do it. I've used all the labs you've mentioned and their special process c-41 alone produced negs that weren't mottled in blue skies. More money but definitely worth it if you do landscape.

I'm still waiting to hear back from LTi, Icon here in LA, etc... Yes, unmottled skies would be great.

-Dan