Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you ????????????????????

Re: How do you ????????????????????

Frankly I agree with Dan. Your thread titiles are obtuse to the extreme and often times are started in the wrong sub-forums. Except for the Lounge the main forums are for questions relating to LF yet you oftentimes post questions about 35mm and DSLRs there.

I too would like to know what the problem is. Many people in your other threads have complained about it too.

What you are doing is actually contrary to the guidelines:
    "Be sure to give a descriptive title to your question. For people searching or browsing the archives, a nonsensical or uninformative subject (like "Oops!", "Read this!", or even "Lenses") just makes it harder for people to find answers to questions."
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Contact Badger Pass. They run XC ski tours and you can overnight in the Glacier Point snack bar which morphs into a ski hut in the winter.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by ignatiusjk View Post
    How do you get up to Glacier Point in winter? I've seen several of Ansel Adams pictures from Glacier point in the winter and would love to get up there.
    Don't tell anyone - skimobile - fast and easy.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Thank you Vaughn and Jon Shiu. That's exactly what I was asking.I was hoping there was a trail from the valley to Glacier Point you could use during winter. Thanks again for your help.

As Vaughn says, there is the 4 mile trail from the Valley, which is a 4 mile hike with several thousand feet of elevation gain, but I would assume you want to take pictures with a lot of snow on the mountains, so there may be some of snow and ice accumulated on the trail making it slippery.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Preston Birdwell

Jon is correct. The Four Mile trail gets iced up in the winter, so a slip could prove very costly. One could also be the target of falling ice from above. I think the best bet is to ski out to Glacier Point from Badger Pass.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by ignatiusjk View Post
    Thank you Vaughn and Jon Shiu. That's exactly what I was asking.I was hoping there was a trail from the valley to Glacier Point you could use during winter. Thanks again for your help.
    ...except that the NPS closes it in the winter because it is so dangerous. You can ski out safely via the GP Road in the winter, which with a modicum of skill is much faster anyway (from one of your old threads).

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I too would like to know what the problem is.
    Well, I have a theory. Either ignatiusjk is an extremely immature young person or he/she seeks to end his/her own life in some dramatic fashion. I have tried to take the high road with this poster even though he seems to abandon and then repost his own threads, because I, as others here, have comprehensive experience that I feel more than qualified to assist him/her with. Yet, the nature of his/her questions seem to veer evermore to wilderness travel for which it is abundantly clear, he/she has no experience. I therefore suggest in all humility that ignatiusjk take classes with the Yosemite Mountaineering School, where I hope, he/she will avoid what I fear is inevitable, his/her own demise. Frankly, I have come to be so concerned at the prospect of his/her injury that I have feared complicity through participation, and will no longer participate in his/her '????????????????????' or '..............' threads.

When I hiked down the 4-mile Trail it was "closed", but this was many moons ago. There are definitely places one does not want to slip!

Other options -- take a wander up the Yosemite Falls Trail. One of my boys made it to Yosemite Point last February...but that was a light snow period. But just up to Columbia Rock, or a little farther for a look at Upper Yosemite Falls, would be nice. I made it up that far with the 8x10 -- but one of my boys carried all the holders and another of my boys carried my Ries...I carried it all down).

Turtleback Dome -- an easier walk than Yosemite Falls! An interesting look up Yosemite Valley with a nice view of El Capitan and Half Dome in the far back.

Only slightly off-topic: As an arm-chair mountaineer (kind of hard to be much else in suburban NJ) this has turned into an interesting thread! I still have the boots, ice axe, and other winter equipment in the garage, but have neither the youth nor air-ticket to get to Yosemite in winter (and maybe age has made me wiser). It also emphasizes why the vast majority of images in the "post your landscapes" forum come from those of you who live out West, while we Easterners tend to post urban landscapes, textures, and leaves! My congratulations to those of you who have the access, will, and most important, the skill to get your LF equipment out into those winter ranges!