Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Chamonix in 3 months-ish

Just Getting Started

New Chamonix in 3 months-ish

So I don't have much info as Hugo can't divulge too much, but the new camera is yet to be named. It *may* be a N-3? The one thing I do know is it will be yaw free and the N-2 can not be upgraded as there are too many differences. He said the time frame for the new model is roughly 3 months out. I know it's not much info, but I felt you guys would be interested to know.

Have a great week,

-Bill

Just Getting Started

Re: New Chamonix in 3 months-ish

Btw, man, Hugo is such a nice guy. He's very prompt and professional. It's very refreshing to work with, especially after following the Deardorff horror thread!

As Curmudgeony as I must seem with my Packard shutters and my drawers full of antique portrait lenses . . . I absolutely love my 4X5 Chamonix. Someday I'll spread out the 4X5 kit with Cham and maybe do a thread. It's quite ecclectic.

And I just ordered my first LF camera, the n-2!

Just Getting Started

Freezer, i'm ordering an N-2 soon as well. The time frame for the new one isn't certain yet and I know the resale is good enough that if yaw-free is that big of a deal to me at that point I'll just sell for the bit of a loss. Jim, I'm with you. I like my tachihara but my still life macro work with 210's is maxing the bellows and I need more! I love the 450 of the N-2 with the extension!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    As Curmudgeony as I must seem with my Packard shutters and my drawers full of antique portrait lenses . . . I absolutely love my 4X5 Chamonix. Someday I'll spread out the 4X5 kit with Cham and maybe do a thread. It's quite ecclectic.
    I'm generally not too interested in the "what I carry" posts but I actually am curious what you carry for 4x5.
    -Chris

Preston Birdwell

"The one thing I do know is it will be yaw free..."
    Please indulge my ignorance, but what does 'yaw free' mean?

I own the N-2, and love it. I'll stick with it for a good while.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post

--P
    Being a veteran of the "forum wars" (that's the VFW), and the misinterpretation of genre and venue specific language, I would take it to mean that Chamonix has added parts that produce "YAW" at no extra charge. Hence "Yaw free". Can't come up with any other appropriate answer.

Years ago, I worked for a finance company. If we gave you a loan and used your furniture as collateral, and if you did not pay on the loan, we would call you and threaten to come out and "Pick up your Sticks". People never really knew what we were saying, until we came out with a big truck and 3 "gorillas" to drag your furniture out of the house.

Industry lanquage begets confusion. Perhaps one day someone will explain YAW for you as it pertains to Large Format cameras. Otherwise, it sounds to me like you just get the addition of YAW for no additional cost.

Now if the OP were from the deep south, or Texas, and the post indicated Chamonix were providing Y'all free in the new model, my suspicion would be that they had decided to become very philanthropic and start giving the cameras out free to Y'all.

--P
    Preton,

I don't know, though my first 45 camera was an Arca_Swiss and advertised as a Yaw free. I am feeble-minded at these technical terms even after many readings.

Maybe this page will explain?

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/yaw.html

It means it's not boring.
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"