Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 'starter' lens?

Best 'starter' lens?

Hi all,

I am getting into large format and will gradually purchasing the components over time to be able to build up a large format kit, im going with a 5x4 setup so that I can keep the cost down a bit, plus the negatives are big enough for what I plan to do - hybrid method of scanning and cyanotype prints.

Am I correct that a normal lens is about 3xfocal lengh of the 35mm equivilent meaning a prime 50mm 35mm camera lens is a 150mm large format lens? I will mainly be doing landscapes as I enjoy the extra detail with the larger negative, I have a couple of medium format cameras and some 35mm cameras but i'm looking forward to large format the most as its where photography began.

Anyway, I am just wondering which lens I should have a look at getting to start with to 'get me started' so to speak, im guessing I should just go with a normal lens rather than a wide for my starter lens as I know that wide lenses are usually more expensive.

I do like the fact that you can buy a lens and it will fit any camera rather than worrying about lens mount types which is good, i'm looking at my large format camera being something that I can invest in over time and gradually build up lenses etc. What would people suggest to start out with? I am aware that some lenses don't have shutters etc, I think it would be easiest to go with a lens with everything together ie shutter as well as the lens.

How much should I look at saving up for regarding a lens? I know I can't afford a Cooke yet!

Re: Best 'starter' lens?

Get any standard Plasmat type 150mm lens made by any of the big four, Schneider Fuji Nikkor Rodenstock. $ 175 - $250.

Have you looked at the homepage of this site? A great deal of good advice is to be found there. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Get any standard Plasmat type 150mm lens made by any of the big four, Schneider Fuji Nikkor Rodenstock. $ 175 - $250.

Have you looked at the homepage of this site? A great deal of good advice is to be found there. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/
    Thanks for your help on this, I came in via the forum so I missed the homepage lol I will check it out that seem pretty reasonable for a lens considering these were built to last unlike these more modern plastic lenses on DSLRs, im looking forward to buying a proper lens for a proper camera are there any lenses that are the 'holy grail' of lenses in case I see a random lens on Ebay or in a shop for not much money?

hint: life will be easier if you look for a lens in a modern copal shutter because, if you're buying second hand it's going to be more likely to work properly and will be easier to get serviced if it needs work. Steer clear of the vintage gear till you're up and running.

and before someone slams that comment.... it's an empirical observation from having bought a bunch of used lenses

Quote Originally Posted by m1tch View Post
    are there any lenses that are the 'holy grail' of lenses in case I see a random lens on Ebay or in a shop for not much money?
    If you are smart (or lucky), you will be grossly outbid by someone else for more money than it would really likely be worth...

Bargains can be had, but probably your best deal will come with buying someone else's full 4x5 kit with all the other bits (holders, lenses, lensboards, camera, tripod, etc.).

Good luck

You want a lens in a good working shutter, with the lens elements clean, no fungus, ideally no cleaning marks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    If you are smart (or lucky), you will be grossly outbid by someone else for more money than it would really likely be worth...

Bargains can be had, but probably your best deal will come with buying someone else's full 4x5 kit with all the other bits (holders, lenses, lensboards, camera, tripod, etc.).

Good luck

You want a lens in a good working shutter, with the lens elements clean, no fungus, ideally no cleaning marks, etc.
    Thanks Len,

The online used camera shop I normally use is 'Rocky cameras' as I am in the UK, they have all sorts of lenses, cameras and accessories, will be grabbing some accessories from there like holders and then lenses probably, will be getting a Shen camera as I am a fan of wood and metal rather than plastic and carbon fibre, need to find a decent tripod as well but as im not shooting an ULF camera it shouldn't weigh too much!

With shutters and indeed apertures what would be most useful, some of my older cameras (such as a Kodak no.2 folding autographic brownie) have very few shutter and aperture settings much like other cameras of that age which I have sometimes found to be an issue when shooting on 'normal' film - but would have been very very fast film for when the camera was made.

I wouldn't really be shooting the camera wide open but I know that if the aperture is too small you lose sharpness through diffraction, ive seen some LF lenses go up to F45, I know that DoF changes depending on the focal length so as I will be shooting landscapes what would be a good F stop and shutter speed range be? I don't want to get a lens and then find that I can't stop it down enough or the shutter speed I need is 'missing' so to speak, I also know that LF lenses are usually slower anyway, but as its not hand held slower speeds are fine

Mitch, if all you do do educate yourself about LF is ask questions on bulletin boards you'll stay on the road to making every beginner's mistake. There are many.

Before you buy any kit, buy a book on the subject and study it. Two good choices are Steve Simmons' Using the View Camera and Leslie Strobel's View Camera Technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Mitch, if all you do do educate yourself about LF is ask questions on bulletin boards you'll stay on the road to making every beginner's mistake. There are many.

Before you buy any kit, buy a book on the subject and study it. Two good choices are Steve Simmons' Using the View Camera and Leslie Strobel's View Camera Technique.
    Its why I don't have any kit at the moment lol im researching into LF, I will have a look out for those books, I won't be buying anything for a while as I want to get it right first time I wanted to ask a few questions on the forum as there are book on the matter and then there is the experience from members on the forum which isn't written in a book, im getting a bit of both before I make a decision on kit.

150mm or 135mm I think would do you well. Basically any modern lens in good condition is going to be absolutely fine.

I agree with Len that buying a fairly complete kit is often cheaper than buying comparable components individually. I've found ebay has some bargains here in the USA, but requires a lot of research, patience, and some luck. Rather than decide what camera, lens, and accessories are best, choose from what is available at a good price. Do as Dan says, get a good book (or several) on LF photography. Even the old editions of the Ansel Adams books have his interesting insight into photography. If LF photography becomes important to you, you may eventually try several cameras and lenses, but one good tripod should last a lifetime. Choose it well. Fairly new lenses may be better than older ones, but many of us don't need that slight advantage in quality. My all-time favorite lens for 4x5 is an Ektar 203mm f/7.7 about 60 years old. Lenses designed for 4x5 press cameras are often found on view cameras, but they don't have enough coverage for front movements.