Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb E6 question - Are Velvia 100F and Provia 100F prcessed the same way?

Dumb E6 question - Are Velvia 100F and Provia 100F prcessed the same way?

I have two sheets of Velvia 100F in a box and then I start on a box for Provia 100F. I tend to shoot 4 shots per outing and I want to know if I need to keep the film types separate when I bring them into the lab or just let them know that all sheets are 100 E6.

If you don not want to have them push- or pull- processed you can mix them. Then they will get the same time in the first developer around 6min 30 sec. Put there are people that have their Velvia 50 pushed 1!3 sto when exposed as 50 Iso and their Provia pushed one stop (exposed as 200 Iso). All depending on personal preferences, but this costs more and for this you need experience.

E6 is a standard process. All E6 films are processed the same way, regardless of type or speed, and there is no need to keep them separate.
    If you need pushing or pulling, separate your sheets based on amount of push/pull required.

The Tetenal 3 bath kit has different times for Kodak and Fuji E6 films, so there you might want to separate. I don't know if this is true for the chemistry that labs use.

Thanks for the info. I went out and shot four sheets at Peggy's Cove just before and just after sunset. I had a great time watching a family of loons while I was waiting for just the right light.

Edward, you know what? The lab puts all your Provia and Velvia in the same machine and the same bath. They would get crazy to wait for customers with Velvia and those with Provia to put it to a different bath. Live well!

Mix them up without concern as long as you don't want some push or pull processed, which is an entirely different issue. The E6 process is standard. The film type makes no difference.

Beverly Hills, California

Not for the Jobo process, at least. The recommended 1st dev time is about 1 minute longer for the Fuji films than the Kodak films with the kodak 6 step E-6 kit, and they also don't recommend mixing Kodak with Fuji E-6 in the same batch for cross contamination reasons.

I use the JOBO Lift processor with their 3010 drum. I find the comment of Andre'
    very interesting. I have only developed the velvia 50 so far, giving
    a first development of 6 to 6.5 minutes at 38 deg., the second for
    6 minutes at 38 deg. I have not found any reference to a change of these times for E6 development for other makes of films. Secondly, I fail to see how there can be a danger of cross contamination by just mixing the films in the drum.
    The only logical explanation I can come up with is that, the different products cause chemical reaction. Could you please confirm your findings, the source, and whether you have any personal experiences of the difference of timing of the first development for the standard E6 first development. Many thanks.

E6 is E6....you oughta be able to run every E6/CR56 process film same batch/time etc. The first dev. time should remain constant at whatever it needs to be to run the control strip--or visually to whatever is "normal" for your film--the film speed, just like in a standardized b&w process or C41--your personal speed should be hinged around the std. time for normal. Even Fuji lists 6 min as a First Dev time. To add another minute is like pushing the film really...which may be what jobo has in mind, but that would be to compensate for the speed of the film, not the process which are different things in my mind. just my opinion of course.