Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: verdict on Horseman VH

Re: verdict on Horseman VH

Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichVoelkel View Post
    ...There are not many choices left.
    I have a VH. Were I in your position now, this is the camera I'd get

along with a Mamiya 6x8 back. That combination would be ideal; the negatives have an aspect ratio similar to whole plate, there are nine of them per roll (so they fit in a standard storage page), their spacing means reverse-curl film buckling is almost eliminated and the ground glass back swings open so it need not be removed to attach the holder.

This camera will focus all except the single-coated version of the 47mm Super Angulon to infinity, since its minimum extension is 52mm and the flange-focal distances (FFDs) of those lenses range from 52.2mm to (for the XL) 59.1mm. Even a single-coated 47mm, with its 51.6mm FFD, could be accommodated by mounting it on a recessed Technika-style board, which the camera accepts.

By the way, I fully agree with those who have suggested not using a medium format view camera to shoot 4x5 as well as not using a 4x5 view camera to shoot medium format roll film.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I have a VH. Were I in your position now, this is the camera I'd get

along with a Mamiya 6x8 back. That combination would be ideal; the negatives have an aspect ratio similar to whole plate, there are nine of them per roll (so they fit in a standard storage page), their spacing means reverse-curl film buckling is almost eliminated and the ground glass back swings open so it need not be removed to attach the holder.

This camera will focus all except the single-coated version of the 47mm Super Angulon to infinity, since its minimum extension is 52mm and the flange-focal distances (FFDs) of those lenses range from 52.2mm to (for the XL) 59.1mm. Even a single-coated 47mm, with its 51.6mm FFD, could be accommodated by mounting it on a recessed Technika-style board, which the camera accepts.

By the way, I fully agree with those who have suggested not using a medium format view camera to shoot 4x5 as well as not using a 4x5 view camera to shoot medium format roll film.
    A word of caution: I had the 4x5 version of the shenhao TFC in the above link. It was fine for 4x5 but wasn't really as rigid or prescise as I'd like for 6x7/8/9, especially in precisely applying the tiny amount of tilt you will need with say a 65mm lens. I think the front standard on mine was also slightly out of vertical, meaning you had to level it with a spiritlevel after every time you used tilt. Plus the stock ground glass is crap. Based on my experience I would think twice about going with the 6x9 version especially if short lenses are your think. For using wides on 120 you really need absolute parallelism and a level of presicsion the shenhao (or at least the one I had) hasn't got.

If I was Heinrich and hell bent on shooting a 120 field camera I'd forget about any of the clamshell design cameras and look at finding a good used Ebony RSW45 or SW45. No limits on wideangles, and rigid and parallel enough for 6x9. As a bonus you can use it for 4x5 or 6x12 too.

Obviously geared tilt would be nice for fulltime 6x9 shooting but you'll have to get an Arca 6x9 for that.

Heinrich, if you want to shoot short lenses and can do without a rangefinder then you might consider a Century Graphic or 2x3 Crown (with Graflok). To get an idea of what can be done with them, see http://www.galerie-photo.com/telecha...2011-03-29.pdf

They aren't for everyone and may well not meet your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichVoelkel View Post
    Seriously? The 65 doesn't work well on the VH? Dammit. Back to the drawing board. There are not many choices left.
    My comment above about hanging the 65 on the back of the rail was inadvertently about the 4x5 FA. In terms of using the Horseman Topcor 65mm on the VH, it is an excellent combination with plenty of potential for movements.

I had no problem using a 65 on my VH. Wider would be tough- I was using a 47mm fl pinhole setup, and would just keep the standard on the back rails and drop the bed- for an actual lens you would have to have some sort of helical, and pretty much forgo using any front movements. (at least you'd get back swings and tilts...)
    Doable, but a bit of a pain.
    -Brian