Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Intervallo - iphone timer app for film development. Free.

Re: Intervallo - iphone timer app for film development. Free.

Quote Originally Posted by rcmartins View Post
    I used it for several months but soon found it too limiting. Please bear in mind that what I am going to report is my experience from using it over a year ago, now.
    The Massive Dev Chart forces a certain sequence with predefined intervals which can only be truly used for B&W development, and one that follows a "by the book" strategy since it forces a sequence....
    With the app we can customize any step of the process and save it, so it is not "by the book".

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    For a pre wash I just set the app to for a 2 part development and the first part I use for the prewash.
    when I use divided development, for instance divided pyrocat, I cannot do that

Not sure why you would need to split your stop bath as normal stop bath time is only 1 minute. It does not take long to stop development. You can split fixing time. I use that as it is safe to turn on the lights half way through your fixing. But you could use one of split fixing times as your split stop bath.
    I use a first stop bath of just water and then a diluted acid stop
    If you use moving water for your rinse there would be no need to split your rinse times.
    I don't. I have found, in my own experience, that a full renewal of water to be more effective than a continuous flow. Thus, I fill with warm water (warm just to increase efficiency), agitate and then flush from 4 to six times. Then I use moving water for 2 min and finally a single 30 s rinse with demineralized water with a droplet of photoflo or equivalent

The film types I have used when developing with the massive Dev app on green are Kodak TMax100 and Arista EDU 100. I chose green because I had read that a green light is used when developing by inspection.
    Ok. Thanks! I didn't know. Looking at the spectral sensitivity charts of TMX it does have slightly lower sensitivity in the green than in the blue wavelengths but personally I wouldn't risk it. Neither with red, by the way. I only use red with ortho films (litho films typically are also red insensitive)

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    With the app we can customize any step of the process and save it, so it is not "by the book".
    Sorry, I guess that expression came out the wrong way. What I tried to say was that no matter what I did with the customization I couldn't quite match to my development routine nor did I feel comfortable with it. My true intention was to warn that others might feel the same, and Massive Dev Chart is far from free. But I might be the only guy out there that feels this way...

Sorry, I guess that expression came out the wrong way. What I tried to say was that no matter what I did with the customization I couldn't quite match to my development routine nor did I feel comfortable with it. My true intention was to warn that others might feel the same, and Massive Dev Chart is far from free. But I might be the only guy out there that feels this way...
    To me, the fundamental question is: "Why do we need a computer to assist in what we already know?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    To me, the fundamental question is: "Why do we need a computer to assist in what we already know?"
    To allow multitasking, to assist in remembering when changing development sequences often, to guarantee precise timing in color processes, to make it easier to follow contrast controlled development (litho specially) and probably other situations that I am not remembering now. Having said that, I used a single analog timer for some time, and naturally it works, but I find the experience less enjoyable that way - much less convenient. These computer things help me avoid distractions when multitasking - it's basically that for me.

when I use divided development, for instance divided pyrocat, I cannot do that

I use a first stop bath of just water and then a diluted acid stop

I don't. I have found, in my own experience, that a full renewal of water to be more effective than a continuous flow. Thus, I fill with warm water (warm just to increase efficiency), agitate and then flush from 4 to six times. Then I use moving water for 2 min and finally a single 30 s rinse with demineralized water with a droplet of photoflo or equivalent

Ok. Thanks! I didn't know. Looking at the spectral sensitivity charts of TMX it does have slightly lower sensitivity in the green than in the blue wavelengths but personally I wouldn't risk it. Neither with red, by the way. I only use red with ortho films (litho films typically are also red insensitive)
    From the description of your developing process on on this thread it sounds like your development process it a TON more complicated then 99% of the people that develop film and I'm my personal opinion more complicated then it needs to be but to each his own. Considering your complicated method you are not going to find an app that caters to your workflow unless you write the app yourself.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams