Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Portrait lens on a Speed Graphic 4x5?

Portrait lens on a Speed Graphic 4x5?

I'm very much a newbie so forgive me if this is a stupid question but I cant seem to find the relevant info. I'm looking at a Speed Graphic for a first 4x5 camera since they seem easy to find, transport and are cheap. However im wondering if there are any issues with mounting a longer lens like a 210mm Schneider Symmar-S. I asume it wont fold in but i'm not sure if the bellows would be long enough or if there would be issues focusing. A secondary question, would the movements be limited on a longer lens. I'm a portrait photographer looking for a cheap first LF camera to experiment with.

Re: Portrait lens on a Speed Graphic 4x5?

Speed Graphics have plenty of bellows draw for a 210mm lens. As for a cheap portrait lens - the 203mm Ektar is excellent, and you can fold the camera closed with it attached.

If you get one like the one I've got listed, you can use the focal plane shutter and just pick up barrel lenses. Depending on what you want, you can get some of those pretty cheaply and it opens up the option of using a lot of cool old brass lenses. When I shot 4x5, I used a 210 Caltar II lens in a Copal shutter that I thought was terrific.

Cheers and welcome to LFPF,
    Richard

I second the 203 Ektar. It sounds like a lot shorter focal length lens, but actually is only 1/4". Wide open it's about one stop slower than the Symmar-S, but it's every bit as sharp. It has so few air/glass surfaces that it doesn't matter that it's only single-coated. Kodak hit the jackpot when they made this one.
    And the price is right!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

multiplex

you might also consider a 10" tele optar
    works wonders ..

10" Tele Optar is a terrific lens, especially for the bucks, but won't fold inside the camera.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

The 203 ektar and optars are great. I have a 210mm trioplan barrel lens which I like. Lots of meniscus choices from 100 years old to contemporary soft focus. The 210 Schneider Symmar-S is excelllent but kinda plain ; good and plain like a toyota; can't go wrong with it.

Speed graphics are excellent, but aren't do-everything cameras. I like them and use them as my go-to LF camera. The focal plane shutter to allow barrel lenses is handy for shooting high shutter speeds. Movement abilities change once you flip the camera on it's side. For something with built in shutter, the oldest pre-war cameras have the most shutter speed options. Newer pacemaker ones have focal plane shutter and some movements. Super speeds have no focal plane shutter and an odd lensboard and better movements; capable for some things but less adaptable for DIY.

(Shrek)

The camera has bellows draw enough, the biggest (or smallest) issue is the size of the lensboard. With some of the wider aperture lenses, the size of the rear element is such that it's difficult or impossible to mount, and it's not all that convenient to try to take off the rear element to mount, and reach in through the focal plane shutter to screw it on. I've had issues with some brassies where I had to leave the flange loose on a board to mount it on the camera, and carry a screwdriver with me to tighten the flange to the board over the top of the retaining bracket on the camera; that was with a smallish Petzval that barely covers the format.

I just bought a Crown Graphic. I really like the 135mm focal length that came with it but I too wanted to use a 210mm lens also. I all ready owned a Caltar ll-E 210mm f/6.8 lens which is a rebadged Rodenstock Geronar. I picked up a Copal 1 board off ebay and the lens just fits with the camera closed.

It's just another option for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I just bought a Crown Graphic. I really like the 135mm focal length that came with it but I too wanted to use a 210mm lens also. I all ready owned a Caltar ll-E 210mm f/6.8 lens which is a rebadged Rodenstock Geronar. I picked up a Copal 1 board off ebay and the lens just fits with the camera closed.

It's just another option for you.
    Especially for a cheap lens, the 210mm geronar is pretty nice looking wide open for portraits. I just posted a portrait done with mine at f8. Quite smooth, still modern-lens-looking if that description makes sense, and mine at least has a little bit of that swirly look wide open.