Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you replacing Efke 25 with?

Ron Miller

Re: What are you replacing Efke 25 with?

I have not used the Foma 100 in a few years but if I recall correctly, the reciprocity failure was unweildly. The Efke 25 reciprocity for me was pretty good. I don't shoot anything behond say 8 minutes and Efke 25 was damned good therebouts. But that was just 1 of the many reasons why I loved the film.

Just Getting Started

I use Foma 100 (Arista.EDU ULTRA 100) in 4x5 as much as I use Efke but I haven't tested it's reciprocity as I haven't shot at night much lately (sad since I love night shooting). I'm interested to know what you find out as I love that film in both 4x5 and 35mm! It looks so good at either 50 or 100 iso with PMK Pyro or stand developed in 1:100 Rodinal.

Re: What new film ?

Quote Originally Posted by wallrat View Post
    I stocked up as well. I hope Foma will come out with something. I don't think Illford is going anywhere film wise as they have a new film coming out and just recently released a new paper. Silver prices are definitely the key variable!
    Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Can you enlighten us with regards to a new Ilford film ?

Ian
    Wondering that myself. The only thing I'm aware of is that, when some of us on APUG were bemoaning the loss of IR820, Simon said Ilford could easily make an infrared film but doubted the market was there, then he promised to take it up the ladder and see what happened. But I've heard nothing else on that score.

I'm not replacing it with anything. I really don't have any use for anything as slow as 25, at least not unless it has some other overriding quality to make me tolerate that kind of lack of speed. In a previous discussion some folks mentioned intentionally long exposures for motion studies. I can see the appeal for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Grunchec View Post
    Jim, you'll find the Foma 100 as NP22 in ULF at Wephota's http://wephota.de/down/wephota/wepr.pdf
    Philippe, you mean that the wephota emulsions are actually foma? Or is it only the 100ASA film? If so, what about the 25ASA? I was just thinking about ordrering a package or two..
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

No, the NP15 is the late Efke/Adox 25!
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wallrat View Post
    I use Foma 100 (Arista.EDU ULTRA 100) in 4x5 as much as I use Efke but I haven't tested it's reciprocity as I haven't shot at night much lately (sad since I love night shooting). I'm interested to know what you find out as I love that film in both 4x5 and 35mm! It looks so good at either 50 or 100 iso with PMK Pyro or stand developed in 1:100 Rodinal.
    About 3 or 4 years ago I did some practical tests of Fomapan 100 & 200 to check out the reciprocity, I found that it was nowhere near as bad as Foma suggest.

At 1 second it was approx 1/3 of a stop, at 10 seconds about a stop, however those were conditions I'd shoot with. It's why Ilford just use a generic table for all their films it's important to test under the same conditions you'll shoot with.

I'll miss EFKE/Adox KB/R/PL 25 I began using it in the early 1970's when it was still called KB14 (or R & PL) the old DIN name. It was the first thin modern ultra fine grain emulsion when it was released in the early 1950's and it wasn't until Agfa AP25 many years later that another film got close in terms of fine grain & sharpness.

Ian

What I find puzzling in the photographic industry is the deth of both film and film camera companies. I also have another hobby that has enslaved me for quite a long time -Hifi (equipment). It is also puzzling how the (analogue music) vinyl, turntable, and tubes have made a come back - roaring. What is very strange is how expensivethese equipments are, but yet "nut cases" still support the hifi companies. As some of you know already, it is easy to find a $100K turntable leave alone Audio Research $10K amps etc. Similarly more companies are sprouting out with speakers in the rage of $10K - $30k easily. The big question is, what is Kodak, Agfa, Fuji, Ilford etc doing wrong to keep film photography relatively robust? Curious to hear your contrasting views!

Just Getting Started

Hey guys, my info on the new film was from an Illford source but wasn't a promise and was without specifics. It was posted publicly somewhere (was within the last year) and I'll have to find it. I completely misspoke and should have said "they just released a new paper and rumor has it that they may have a new film coming out". Sorry for the way I originally wrote that, it was pre-coffee this morning.

I think Tautatis' question is a good one and I'm interested in hearing other's input / views as well. One issue I see is the lack of any advertising (that I see) in magazines like Popular Photography. I think it would help to not only sponsor traditional ads but also sponsor or suggest articles that can help those just getting in to photography know about film as a viable alternative and how to implement it solo, or in addition to, digital. Pop Photo really started to annoy me as I would see a number of backhanded comments speaking of film as "dead", "unnecessary", "for hipsters" or "worthless", however, in the past few months, the growing resurgence has even been too much for them to ignore. I do know that Pop Photo is not the best magazine for established artists or any photo professional really, but I do appreciate the ability to keep up with current gear. One other thought is the lack of new, professional or enthusiast level, film cameras. Ignoring the fact that that isn't as true for LF, we have to remember that almost zero film photographers start with LF. I *think* Nikon still makes a film camera or 2 (FM10 and maybe one more) as does Vivitar, but I think the FM10 and the Vivitar are both student level cameras. While I'm fairly certain we will never see another new Canon film camera, it would really help to have a manufacturer or 2 spitting out new, relatively affordable, 35mm film slr's that includes at least a basic range of beginner, intermediate (enthusiast), and pro models.

I bought what I could at the last minute scramble. So much for a lifetime supply but at least enough for a good going away party. Where all this film supply is going is anybodies guess. I think all of the manufacturers are known so it's going to be an existing company who comes up with any new emulsions or sizes. Kodak?, Ilford / Harmon?, Fuji?, Europe?, China? It looks like a gray picture.

Any size you want, any emulsion you want, as long as you want what they offer, once a year. Get prepared for next years run from Ilford. I'll be in on that one. If nothing more than to keep film alive. Every box counts!

Adox is now having some film coated in Germany (Inoviscoat or some such name) and I think are looking to coat a replacement for Efke 25.