Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

I took some portraits of the "Occupy" protesters last year.
    One of the subjects emailed me this morning, asking me to remove his photo from my website (or he and his posse would make trouble for me) because he is concerned about his privacy.
    The photo is here: http://www.aritapiero.com/occupy-ottawa.html
    Top row, fourth photo from the left, of two gentlemen, one is holding a book; the other one is the person in question.

I always ask for permission first, then everybody signs a standard release form, then we shoot a frame or two.

I told the guy that unless he had a legal reason for me to remove the photo, I wouldn't remove it.
    I reminded him that he had signed a release.

Kind of harsh, but I am loathe to be forced to "edit" myself based on the whims of others.
    At least that's how I see it.

What say you?

TIA

Re: What would you do?

If it was me I would plaster his picture everywhere I could find an audience just because he threatened me.
    Had he asked politely I likely would remove it for him.

They were in a public place, no? My understanding is that you don't even need a release, not for most non-commercial use. If you used it in an ad, yes. Just up on a web page, part of a news story etc, no. In any case he signed a release anyway. I'd write back and tell him he can't un-sign it.

Ooops - just noticed you're in Ontario. Canadian law might be different. But I still bet he can't just after the fact revoke his agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Walker View Post
    If it was me I would plaster his picture everywhere I could find an audience just because he threatened me.
    Had he asked politely I likely would remove it for him.
    ^^ Just about exactly my reaction. I'd tell him and his "posse" to pound salt, too.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Just ignore him from this point on. The silence will kill him.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Hey Ari ... do they have freedom of speech in Canada? You do not need to ask permission if on public property in public view ....For what you described it sounds like you need to show your email to the police. Free speech does not give anyone the right to threaten a person. Go to the police ... But then again we had the same lowlifes here in tampa. There is no way i would risk my personal safety being around people who do not understand societies need for the rule of law.. they are anarchist by the definition of there protest. I looked at your photos when you made them available on your page. I personally thought you were brave or one of them. Here in tampa and elsewhere there were several arrests for drugs, assault, rape ect...

I'd tell him and his "posse" to pound salt ..... sounds good to me..... make a federal case out of it and go to the police.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

None of those guys look very tough to me. Give him the silent treatment!

You are Canadian. Be nice. Take it down. No sweat off your brow.

Let's see. He goes to a public demonstration that is getting all sorts of press and air time. He signs a release, and agrees to have his photo taken. Now he's concerned about his privacy. Go figure.

I'd probably give the local police a copy of the email. Then I'd email him back and say if he had asked nicely you would have honored his request, but since he was a jerk about it the photo will stay where it is. And tell him the police have a copy of his email so they'll know who to talk to first if anything happens.

We may be reading too much into Ari's comment about, "or he and his posse would make trouble for me." That could mean threatening harm, or it could be as simple as "or you'll be hearing from my lawyer friend." Though admittedly it's hard to imagine a lawyer not laughing in his face if aware he signed a release in addition to obviously posing at a gathering on public property.