Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greetings from Michigan USA!

Searching for a fine art photography - Ann Arbor area

Hi Everyone!

My family is creating a book and digital archive of my grandfather's oil paintings, about 15-20 of which are located at a private residence in Ann Arbor, MI (where I grew up!).

Thus, I'm searching for a photographer/studio experienced in this area who can visit the residence and take the photos there. I am not a photographer myself, but based on previous sessions other family members have done, I've been told that the ideal resolution is about ~600-900 dpi in uncompressed, TIFF format, and typical size of each file is 100+ MB or 60+MB in jpeg format.

One studio in Chicago also recommended that we find someone that uses a 4x5 camera with a "Better Light" scanning back.

I did some google searching and came across this timely Michigan thread - would any of you have contacts (whether yourself or someone else) who might be interested in this project? You can also reach me at andiwillrest [at] gmail [dot] com.

Our goal is to have these photos taken in the next few weeks (earlier is better).

Thank you and Go Blue!
    Susan

--

Cool Re: Searching for a fine art photography - Ann Arbor area

I don't know of anyone that has digital backs for 4x5. Why not just have someone shoot them with film, and you can drum scan the negatives for the resolution you are asking.

Best of luck,

Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by andiwillrest View Post
    Hi Everyone!

My family is creating a book and digital archive of my grandfather's oil paintings, about 15-20 of which are located at a private residence in Ann Arbor, MI (where I grew up!).

Thus, I'm searching for a photographer/studio experienced in this area who can visit the residence and take the photos there. I am not a photographer myself, but based on previous sessions other family members have done, I've been told that the ideal resolution is about ~600-900 dpi in uncompressed, TIFF format, and typical size of each file is 100+ MB or 60+MB in jpeg format.

One studio in Chicago also recommended that we find someone that uses a 4x5 camera with a "Better Light" scanning back.

I did some google searching and came across this timely Michigan thread - would any of you have contacts (whether yourself or someone else) who might be interested in this project? You can also reach me at andiwillrest [at] gmail [dot] com.

Our goal is to have these photos taken in the next few weeks (earlier is better).

Thank you and Go Blue!
    Susan

--

Re: Searching for a fine art photography - Ann Arbor area

Hi Jeff -

Ah yes, that is what was recommended to us. I'm not familiar with photography terms, so while the output eventually must be in digital format, how the picture are taken can be with whatever tools/methods are most appropriate. This is something that I would expect to discuss with the person/studio during the initial conversation.

Thanks for clarifying!
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffegg2 View Post
    I don't know of anyone that has digital backs for 4x5. Why not just have someone shoot them with film, and you can drum scan the negatives for the resolution you are asking.

Best of luck,

Jeff.