Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anti-static Bags (aka "pink ziplocks")

Re: Anti-static Bags (aka "pink ziplocks")

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com has 6x8 4mil ziplock bags at 50 for $14.39 under catalog #2053T65
    Great folks to deal with. No minimum order and only actual shipping costs, no handling charges.

Here's a link to the catalog page: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/1557/=k5x773
    Scroll down a bit to Antistatic in the left column. They have many other sizes in small quantities.

- Leigh
    I seem to recall you use the Riteway locking holders as I do. Do they fit in the 6x8 bags ok? I just measured a holder and it's exactly, close as I can tell anyway, 8" high to the top of the handle on the slide, by 4.75" wide. 6x9 would be better as it would allow a little room. Looks like the Riteways might just fit in the 6x8 but might be fussy to get closed?

Just Getting Started

I did but they didn't have what I was looking for. They do carry the metallic bags but I need more "give" in the bag. They are cheaper than the other site but are about 50% again more than Uline. I appreciate the link though. It's always nice to have these suppliers in my bookmarks!

Just Getting Started

Roger, the bags are 6x9 not 6x8. There is a bit of extra room at the top but it's a nice fit. 8x10 & 9x12 are also being considered as 5x7 holders are being used. For me, the 6x9s or 9x12's are perfect. I'm ok either way. I actually see that the 9x12's could have more uses but I'm fine either way.

This response is in reference to the original bags I'm looking at and have samples of from Uline (4mil 6x9)
    Last edited by wallrat; 14-Nov-2012 at 15:10. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by wallrat View Post
    Roger, the bags are 6x9 not 6x8. There is a bit of extra room at the top but it's a nice fit. 8x10 & 9x12 are also being considered as 5x7 holders are being used. For me, the 6x9s or 9x12's are perfect. I'm ok either way. I actually see that the 9x12's could have more uses but I'm fine either way.
    Yeah, I was replying to Leigh. The ones on the site he links are 6x8. 6x9 would work fine for me and my Riteways. I would go in 1/4 on a carton of 6x9s if the 6x8s are too tight. I think 9x12 would add too much plastic. I've recently been on the warpath against dust and realized that putting more than one holder per bag was not a good idea. Right now I have all my holders in individual gallon ziplocks as the Riteways won't fit in the quart ones, and there's lots of extra bag. I used to put five holders in one gallon ziplock. They fit, but it's not an ideal situation for dust. Contamination on one when removed can easily get to the others when you put it back.

The link Leigh posted has smaller quantities so I thought about getting those if they'd fit. OTOH, while 1/4 of the ones from your site would be more money, it would be a lot more bags, practically a lifetime supply.

Just Getting Started

I thoroughly agree. I was just trying to accomodate as many people as I can. If you are ok with 2 mil thick (ziplocks are 1.5) we could split a 6x9 2 mil order 2 ways @ $34 for 500 + shipping.

Just Getting Started

Btw, I found a couple of other suppliers that are a bit cheaper yet have the same (supposed) quantity. I've requested samples from both companies. I'm going to wait to order until after I receive them. At that point I'll post the best price for the bags I could find. This is the second time I've tried to find people to go in on ordering these bags and I'm finally to the point I'll just order the 1000 alone if needed. I can then package them in lots of 50 or so and sell them at a slight profit to liquidate the ones I don't need. Roger, if you are still interested when I post the final prices I find I'm still all good to go. I guess what I'm saying is I'm ordering either way.

Have a great weekend guys,
    -Bill

Yeah, I'm interested. Kind of busy this week but I'll drop you a PM.

Just Getting Started

Np Roger, I'm not in that big of a hurry either. I tried an 8x8 bag to see if my holders may fit a 6x8 and as I assume we already knew, it won't. However, if someone is shooting 5x7 and wants to go in, i'm ok with 8x10 bags which will hold both 4x5 and 5x7 holders (1 or 2 of either). So, it's either 6x9 or 8x10.

Have a good thanksgiving guys if I don't talk to you before,

-Bill

I've never had a problem with keeping my film holders in ordinary zip-locks from Wal-mart (Hefty Jumbos for my 8x10s) and the San Joaguin Valley is a pretty dry & dusty place (although there are certainly drier and dustier places!) Have you had any experiences that justify the expense of special anti-static bags in your neck of the woods?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Just Getting Started

I live next door to you (until 1/1/13 that is) in Stanislaus county. Yes, I've had dust issues, a number of times. One thing to keep in mind is that these are actually cheaper unless you are using the super cheap generic 1 mil bags and thicker. I don't use those because they rip. I currently use Ziplock Freezer Gallon bags which average $0.15 each and I don't like to keep more than 2 holders per bag so I end up with a ton of extra bag in my holder cases. The 6x9 bags fit 2 4x5's perfectly, have only 1/2" extra bag on top, are static free, and cost $0.06 each so it's a win win. The only reason I started the thread is that I won't use 1000 of them in 5 years so I hoped to split it with someone.
    Last edited by wallrat; 15-Nov-2012 at 13:57. Reason: small change