Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-static Bags (aka "pink ziplocks")

Just Getting Started

Question Anti-static Bags (aka "pink ziplocks")

I'm going to order some bags for holding my film holders. I only shoot 4x5 and the 6x9" bags hold 2 holders quite nicely. I would like to order the 4mil thick bags but minimum quantity is 1000 and it's $124. That's only $0.12 each which is cheaper than ziplock bags (avg is $0.15) and 3 times as thick (almost) and they repel dust and dissipate any static buildup on the holder. If I could find someone to split the purchase with me 50/50 (or 4 to go 25% each) I'll do the 4 mil, otherwise I'll go with the 2mil (which are still .5mil thicker than ziplocks) @ $68 / 1000. Anyone interested? You can see them at the link below and I have numerous samples in hand. http://www.uline.com/BL_7850/4-Mil-A...eclosable-Bags

Just Getting Started

Re: Anti-static Bags (aka "pink ziplocks")

I would also go for the 9 x 12 bags which would hold 2 8x10 or 4 4x5 holders (I can't verify 8x10's as I don't have any 8x10 holders) but it would also allow anti-static storage of lenses, smaller cameras, etc. It may go further as a handy item to own. The price difference is negligible.

Will the 6x9 also hold a 5x7 holder?

Just Getting Started

Yeah, it would. If you would want to hold 2 though we would need a slightly bigger bag. We can determine the size though. I just need you to measure the actual size of the holder and the depth of it as well (if 2 per bag matters to you). I think you get more for your money if you can do 2 per bag.

Just Getting Started

Actually, just to be sure, can you give me those measurements anyway? All of my 5x7 holders are packed for the move.

I'm not sure if it's the same in the US but over here, black or metalised bags will dissipate static. i.e. they are conductive whereas the pink bags are purely non static generating.

Anti static bags or static dissipative bags, whether clear or tinted are used to pack non ESD sensitive items destined for use in an EPA. They are low cost, will not hold electrostatic charge and offer little in terms of ESD protection.
    http://www.antistat.co.uk/section.ph...ti_static_bags

Steve.

Just Getting Started

Good question Steve. According to the rep at Uline these do both, however, the non-sealing pink bags are made from a different material that only prevents generation. According to the rep, these are identical to the black bags (same plastic compound) but see-thru. The non-sealing variety are completely different. I can't back that up though as I have to trust them. One thing I can say is at 6 - 12 cents each, they beat regular ziplocks hands down. Thanks for the comment as I honestly hadn't given it much thought past my initial inquiry.

-Bill

Just Getting Started

However, as to Steve's point, if anyone decides to split an order and his question is a make or break point, I'd be happy to email them to get confirmation and CC anyone on the email. The last thing I want to do is mislead someone, especially over $60

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wallrat View Post
    Actually, just to be sure, can you give me those measurements anyway? All of my 5x7 holders are packed for the move.
    Just measured the 5x7 holder and it's 9 5/8 x 5 7/8, so I guess it won't fit.

Just Getting Started

Yeah, we would have to go to the 8x10 bags which is fine. How deep is the holder? I bet those would hold 2 of the 5x7's and also be more useful for holding lenses, film, etc. Going up to that size adds about $20 / 1000 so $10 if it's split which isn't a big deal
    Last edited by wallrat; 14-Nov-2012 at 13:11. Reason: more info