Thread: Archival concerns regarding cleaning transparencies with lighter fluid for scanning/printing

Archival concerns regarding cleaning transparencies with lighter fluid for scanning/printing

I was surprised to discover that I could find no reference to the archival affects of cleaning transparencies and negatives with lighter fluid. I know for a fact that several professional labs in New York City use this method to clean these originals before scanning or printing. Aside from the fact that lighter fluid is more readily available and cheaper than TEC cleaner I was hoping to glean some information from more neutral parties than the manufacturer of that product. But as a photographer who is apprehensive about drum scan fluids and now lighter fluid in the handling of my originals I'd like to see if others have had any experience in addressing answers to these same concerns... thanks.

Archival concerns regarding cleaning transparencies with lighter fluid for scanning/printing

I'm concerned that you would even consider it. For one thing, I suspect that sniffing lighter fluid (butane?) is not exactly good for your health. For another, it's a fire waiting to happen. Finally, I have no idea what this does to the film, but I suspect it's not too harmful if the contents are "dry" and contain nothing to make the emulsion swell.

Why not use a product designed for this duty, such as Prazio film cleaner or PEC-12 film cleaner?

I do my own drum scanning, and only use products designed for the duty and that work together. For me that means Prazio film and drum cleaner, Tessa tape, and Prazio Ultra wipes. I haven't damaged a piece of film yet (knock on wood).

BTW, there is a technique to use when cleaning film. Always use a new, clean, wipe. Spray the film, then wipe it from one side to the other in a single motion. Rotate the wipe with your hand as you go to lift the dirt and grit away from the film. Never rub, never scrub back and forth. Do the same to the other side. Always use a fresh wipe. Why go through all this trouble? It's the only way I know to reliably keep from scratching the film.

Bruce Watson

Aaaack... lighter fluid isn't a great idea. Buy PEC film cleaner or get some 90% isopropyl alcohol. Much safer.

if this helps the discussion- lighter fluid is not butane it is naptha. Disposable lighters use butane...what you buy in the store to fill a zippo is naptha. Naptha dries really fast....that is why it is used as a solvent.

if fire safety is a concern...your not going to do much better using alcohol....and according to the msds for pec-12 it is also quite flammable.

Hmm??? I always liked my mothers advice; If everybody else was jumping off a cliff ...........? Contact the archiving & materials department at Rochester Institute of Technology. They will tell you what to do and not to do. It will be accurate advice.