Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Books on Architectural Photography Legends

New Books on Architectural Photography Legends

Two new books are available for those interested in architectural photography:

Balthazar Korab: Architect of Photography

Ezra Stoller Photographer

These are both biographies with images. I have ordered them both, but haven't received them yet. I will follow up with details when I receive them. FWIW, Stoller is probably the co-founder (along with Hedrich Blessing) of professional architectural photography as we know it. Many branches of the family tree of architectural photographers lead back to Ezra. Korab is an amazing individual who worked as an apprentice architect for LeCorbusier, Frank Lloyd Wright and Eero Saarinen before devoting himself to architectural photography. Ezra passed away in 2004, Korab is alive and well here in Detroit!

Carpenter

Re: New Books on Architectural Photography Legends

I'm in a deep architectural phase right now and am devouring everything I can get my hands on. I will be ordering these tonight!
    I'm not sure if I have it right, but was Julius Shulman the third point to the triad that birthed modern architectural photography? I think he was on the west coast when the modernist movement was growing legs, and had the right style to put it in perfect context. Could he be akin to Miles Davis, in that they both really embodied the "new" west coast vibe that set out to differentiate itself from the deep seated, more traditional styles that were prevalent back east (New York, Chichago)?

How is the market for architectural photographers anyways? Don't a lot of architects and real estate agents just send someone out with a good camera and correct the parallels with PS?

You think that perspective correction is all there is to AP? I would say that the first few years of digital that was true for lower level clients and tiny firms who had no ambition and just did bread and butter work. It was never true of top tier architects/designers and these days most lower level clients know better now too after trying to do it themselves for a few years. Prior to the 2008 recession I didn't bother with LL clients-the big boys had plenty of work for me. Their volume has seriously declined forcing me to go to the LL clients to fill the gaps. Low and behold they know the difference now too and are willing to pay for good photography. Still the volume sucks overall but it is not for the lack of knowing what good AP takes.

In Feb I have been asked to give a talk to the AIA. Its not the first time or even the first time since digital arrived. I am not afraid to tell them how I do what I do. Unless they have someone on staff with the right equipment AND really talented with PS AND a great eye AND a feel for light and the patience/knowledge to shoot at the proper time (from sunrise to after sunset) etc. they are going to get crap and either they have already figured it out or will pretty quickly.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Carpenter

I'm not sure how the business of architectural photography is, but am sure it's been hit in the same way other types of professional photography have. Your statement about "just sending someone out and correcting in PS" is the mentality that's undercut many professional trades. The "good enough" attitude and the unwillingness to pay what a professional charges, has slowly degraded what is deemed acceptable quality. Look at all the cheap crap we deal with these days. Trying to find and buy quality tools locally, for instance, is often times an exercise in futility.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that many of you local real estate companies and architects can probably get buy without needing the service of a professional, due to the technology that is available to the average consumer. Their needs are of lower quality at a relatively cheap price. But for higher end, possibly more well known architects and the like, they may deem it neccesary to hire a professional who is going to make their structure shine. By merely hiring the right photographer they can impress potential clients and land more business. At least this is the way I think it basically works

Sorry about the tirade, but architectural photography is something I've been seriously considering. I've been trying to get a sense of the market place, and how to approach it. Thoughts of approaching small businesses locally (architects, builders) with the plan to try and sell a higher quality image (done with a 4x5) at a competitive price with the knowledge that the shots arn't going to be done and on a cd in an hour, is what I've been thinking. We'll see what happens...

Personally I think that 4X5 and film is overkill and the wrong tool for the job these days. You have compared what you want to do against the absolute quality bottom of digital AP-the lowest paying MO. That is a recipe for failure.. Try turning around 50 primo 4X5s in a week with drum scan quality files delivered at a competitive living wage price. That's a week worth of scanning alone, then spotting, working the files up etc. The numbers are never going to add up if you charge fot all your time.

I know top commercial APs all over the country and not a one of them shoots traditionally.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    You think that perspective correction is all there is to AP?
    That's a bit of a leap.

Look, fact is, digital has made it a lot easier to get great shots. I know a great (not "famous" though) architect who just has an apprentice or intern go out to the site with a wide lens tripod and dslr, keeps it level, turns all the lights on inside, waits until the blue light of dusk, and gets someone to walk somewhere in the frame during the 2 second exposure. Bam. Instant high culture "manufactured landscape" photo straight out of dwell.

And seems like more and more amateurs go pro or semi pro every year--retirees and college grads amongst them willing to do good quality work for nothing or at a loss. How long before lower level clients figure out they can get 80% of the quality for 10% of the price if they go with a highly skilled ameteur instead of a seasoned professional? and that leaves, what, 100 full time, well compensated architectural photogs in the entire world to jet set around to major cities to get shots of the avant garde?

Ok my second paragraph is a little harsh but, I would still like to know, how have all the ameteur photographers affected the AP market?

I bow to your superior knowledge of the business.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Irony? Used to humorously express a point?