Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cork for a spacer?

Cork for a spacer?

I just mounted several lenses on to Linhof Tech lens boards,and now when I try and attach a few of them to the camera I find that it is too tight. The bottom of the lens prevents the lens board from fitting into the camera. The lens needs to be about ??1/8?? inch further out from the lens board. A fast and easy fix would be to cut a circle in a piece of cork, to just fit over the barrel of the lens, trim the outside to fit the lens and I'd have a spacer.
    How has everyone else handled this problem?

I just learned that I'm going to have to rotate the lenses probably about 45* so that I can read the f/stop and shutter speed easier. Again how does everyone else do it?

Bill

Re: Cork for a spacer?

Cork is a very poor choice. It disintegrates easily and spreads little pieces all over the place.

You can find shim stock at any automotive store. Easy to cut with scissors.
    Use multiple thicknesses if necessary.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Have you looked for the locating screws which many lenses have. You just file a goove in the board to accept it.

If you do need shims go to a garage you know they'll be able to help and cheap

Ian

Thanks guys, shim stock at a parts store, sounds great! I like the idea of metal.
    Does the shim stock come big enough to fit around the lens? Or is it a wedge here and a wedge there?
    I'll look for the locating screws, do these anchor the lens so that they do not rotate? Or do they act like a spacer, to help me in moving the lens forward?
    Bill

Shim stock is sold in rolls or sheets, as large as you might want. Certainly much larger than a lensboard.

It's also available in many different types of metals and plastics.
    The plastic types are easier to cut and handle, but they're color coded by thickness, so you can't really choose a color.

With metals you certainly want to select a type that's not going to rust. Bronze, brass, or stainless steel are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill, 70's military B&W View Post
    I'll look for the locating screws, do these anchor the lens so that they do not rotate? Or do they act like a spacer, to help me in moving the lens forward?
    The anti-rotation screw (on the back of the shutter at 12 oclock) prevents the lens from rotating in the lensboard.
    It fits in a clearance hole or notch above the large hole. If the lens rotates in the board the ring can come loose.
    I always use them when mounting a lens. Some folks prefer not to.

The screw is quite small (1/16" dia) with a narrow slot. If one is present and you don't choose to make a notch
    for it, unscrew it with a jeweler's screwdriver and mail it to me.

The only Copal shutters that have spacers are the #3 size. Smaller ones do not. I don't know about other brands.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Cork will compress and loosen with time. You don't say what size hole, but these metal washers are Copal-0 sized are commonly available at a hardware store. They are for downsizing holes in electrical conduit boxes to get out of trouble when you punch out a the too-big hole.

However, it is odd the shutter binds on the camera, are you using correct "Linhof Brand" boards with the offset hole?

Poster board ... and even foam board ... work well. It is cheap and easy to cut.

If you're worried about compression use the poster board ... but I've mounted some fairly large lenses using foam board as a shim without issue ... just tighten it down good when mounting. I tried it the first time just to get a quick mount with plans to replace it later. I was surprised how tight and stable it was and have never replaced the first one and have used it on other lenses since. In fact, I think some compression is desirable because the material forms to the lens and board surfaces and ensures a light-tight seal.

Because the only portions that are exposed are the edges you can use a black sharpie to color them.

Leigh,
    I think I'd have trouble cutting hard metals. Yes I could use a Saber saw, but I do not think the results would be all that great. Plastic would not harm anything. I'll go to the auto supply store and see what they have.
    I'll look for the anti-rotation screws, sounds like a great idea. I've already had a lens or two come loose. After shooting a few shots, I learned that I will want to rotate the shutter probably about 45* so that I can read the speeds and f/stops better.

You mention spacers for #3 Copal shutters??? Is this something I can buy? From where?
    Thanks, Bill

Ic-racer, I bought these boards from China. I wanted them center drilled so I did not order the 'off center' ones.
    Then I read where Bob S. said that Linhof drills it's regular ones a little below center, and the 'off center' ones are actually center drilled...... Damn!!!

The problem is located where the bottom of the Chinese Linhof Tech lens board slips into the adapter that I put on the cameras so that they will all accept the Linhof boards. The 3 or so prongs that stick up do not fit in the space between the lens board and the lens. Needs a spacer.

The size that is giving me trouble is Copal #3. I'll remember the metal washers from the electrical boxes. Heck, I'll probably take the lens down to Ace Hardware and HD and see if I can find something off the shelf that will work.

Jim, now that is an idea I can do right away. If I can't find something at the hardware store or automotive parts store then I'll give your idea a whirl. I've got some black poster board that will work just fine.

All you folks are wonderful, great ideas. Obviously there is more than one way to do things.

Thanks to all,
    Bill