Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large Format in Seattle

Re: Large Format in Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by stangvert View Post
    I live just East of Seattle. It is true that is rains alot and it gets dark around 5:00 in the winter time.
    Ha! It never gets light! Pitch black > black > dark grey > grey > light grey on an exceptionally clear winter day > dark grey > black > pitch black.

That being said, if I weren't so affected by the lack of light, I'd move back to Seattle in a heartbeat. Amazing city! Rain gear will be your second skin, and while it rains a lot, its mostly drizzle and light rain (heavy rain bands seem to hit further south, and west on the Olympics). Winds are typically high only when a front is coming through, so you really only have to worry about keeping mist/drizzle off the camera and lens, as well as fogging/condensation on the ground glass.
    Peter Y.

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

I moved from Seattle to Colorado almost 2 years ago...and in terms of photography I really miss it. It doesn't rain in the northwest as much as everyone thinks, sure its overcast a lot, but I think that is perfect for photography, its like a huge softbox in the sky. I do shoot near a car, but never had issues with rain unless I was chasing ominous thunder storms in eastern washington. I am already sick of the 350 days or so of sunshine in CO. I rarely like blue skies and never like harsh shadows. Also, most of this summer in CO was like 90-100 F, which for me who lived in Bellingham then Seattle is far too hot for me to want to get under the dark cloth. Anyway, yeah Seattle is great, I've had to postpone more shots here due to weather than I ever did in the northwest, and sure its dark in the winter but that's what pho and strong ales are for. Also gives plenty of time for scanning, processing, and printing. I like Seattle and hope to move back someday.
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

I second Adams comments. I came here from Kansas in 1969 and still love it here. Short winter days equal long days available in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by adam satushek View Post
    I moved from Seattle to Colorado almost 2 years ago...and in terms of photography I really miss it. It doesn't rain in the northwest as much as everyone thinks...
    Adam! Shhh!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    No it isn't...thats London for the last 3 days!
    'Life is tough, but its tougher when you're stupid' John Wayne

Ian. Don't base your decision on November weather in Seattle. It's dreadful.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	83939
    Enumclaw is just southeast of Seattle by Mt. Rainier.