Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mounting Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 APO-Rodagon D Enlarging lens to 4x5 lens board

Drew Wiley

Re: Mounting Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 APO-Rodagon D Enlarging lens to 4x5 lens board

Thanks for the quick rely, Bob. The hypothetical application would be 8x10 internegs from
    4x5 transparencies. I'm using a 240 Apo-Nikkor for this currently with decent results, but
    am always interested in anything even better. Just another ace in the hole, since I have
    quite a stockpile of 4x5 chromes but Ciba no longer an option. I've still got a couple of months ahead of boring specialized tests with Portra 160 for interneg use. My concept of an interneg is something a lot higher performance than the traditional expectations, so fussing around is inevitable.

Re: Mounting Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 APO-Rodagon D Enlarging lens to 4x5 lens board

Quote Originally Posted by vastphoto View Post
    Bob,

My idea is to use the lens for macro work on a 4x5 camera with a 5D MkII mounted to the back of the camera. I should be OK to get 1:1 magnification right?

I don't know of anyone who has tied this but given that it's a copy lens I suspect that both distortion and CA are well controlled in the design.

Your thought are welcome.
    I would use the 120mm Apo Macro Digital Sironar rather then a duplicating lens. Second choice would be the 120mm Apo Macro Sironar and then a 150mm Apo Ronar. The D would then come after most of the reverse mounted enlarging lenses.

Thanks Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    First you don't have a Rodenstock enlarging lens. A Rodenstock enlarging lens has, among other features an illuminated aperture. Your lens, and the other two D lenses do not have this feature. That is because it is not an enlarging lens. It is a duplicating lens. Most often used for duplicating 45 transparencies.

All three Rodenstock Apo Rodagon-D lenses; 75mm 4.0, 75mm 4.5 and the 120mm 5.6 have a 39mm Leica thread mount. The same as found on most modern enlarging lenses. It will mount to a 0 size board. It will not mount directly to the threads in a 0 size shutter.

The link to B&H's web site also shows the wrong description as well as a picture of the lens upside down.
    When you say it will mount on a 0 size board would that be using the standard M39 retaining ring? I will not be installing a shutter as I'll be using the shutter on the 5D MkII.

Quote Originally Posted by vastphoto View Post
    When you say it will mount on a 0 size board would that be using the standard M39 retaining ring? I will not be installing a shutter as I'll be using the shutter on the 5D MkII.
    Yes, it is a standard Leica thread, not a 0 shutter thread.

Hi Bob,

Old thread but related question. I wanted to buy a Schneider 120mm f/5.6 APO-Componon HM Enlarging Lens for 4x5 enlargement but BH no longer sells it. They suggested the Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 APO-Rodagon D instead but it looks like it is designed for 1:1 1:2 report rather than typical 4-5 x or more typical of an enlarger. I am wondering if it would work equally well for darkroom printing enlargements or if I would be better off with say a Rodenstock 135mm Rodagon lens. I am looking to get the sharpest one I can for 4x5 neg enlargements. but have to buy it new.

Quote Originally Posted by pcardone View Post
    Hi Bob,

Old thread but related question. I wanted to buy a Schneider 120mm f/5.6 APO-Componon HM Enlarging Lens for 4x5 enlargement but BH no longer sells it. They suggested the Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 APO-Rodagon D instead but it looks like it is designed for 1:1 1:2 report rather than typical 4-5 x or more typical of an enlarger. I am wondering if it would work equally well for darkroom printing enlargements or if I would be better off with say a Rodenstock 135mm Rodagon lens. I am looking to get the sharpest one I can for 4x5 neg enlargements. but have to buy it new.
    The problem is that the D series are duplicating lenses. They are terrible enlarging lenses. In 120 for enlarging Rodenstock only made the Rodagon-WA and it was a spectacular performer. But it is also no longer made. If you need a current lens then it would be the Rodagon. It is also a spectacular lens!
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 26-Mar-2018 at 20:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    The problem is that the D series are duplicating lenses. They are terrible enlarging lenses. In 120 for enlarging Rodenstock only made the Rodagon-WA and it was a spectacular performer. But it is also no longer made. If you need a current lens then it would be the Rodago;. It is also a spectacular lens!
    Just saw this reply. Maybe the e-mail notification did not work. Thanks so much for the helpful response.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    I would use the 120mm Apo Macro Digital Sironar rather then a duplicating lens. Second choice would be the 120mm Apo Macro Sironar and then a 150mm Apo Ronar. The D would then come after most of the reverse mounted enlarging lenses.

Hello Bob, why would be the D so bad as a taking lens, imo it should be as good as the Apo Macro Digital Sironar? Do you think more lens elements are better?

Quote Originally Posted by Karlmera View Post
    Hello Bob, why would be the D so bad as a taking lens, imo it should be as good as the Apo Macro Digital Sironar? Do you think more lens elements are better?
    It is strictly a lens made for duplicating, you would find that at other then the ratios it is designed for that it would be a terrible performer.