Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Test Report: Automated Reading Densitometer X-Rite 890

retrogrouchy

Re: Test Report: Automated Reading Densitometer X-Rite 890

I have an 890 but haven't tried it out yet because of the patch-size issue. However you don't need to cut the side off a wedge to hide the numbers, you just adjust the guide rails so that the numbers are out of the reading area.

I have the little Stouffer wedge where the patches are too small and the strip is not wide enough. I plan to tape it to some paper so that it feeds cleanly but haven't tested that yet. I also suspect that the patch-size issue can be solved by putting a smaller mask in the densitometer so that it can see only a small piece of film. That will change the readings of course, but readings are effectively relative anyway.

PS: I highly recommend the "Edit Post" button. Means you can append stuff instead of putting up 50 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    However you don't need to cut the side off a wedge to hide the numbers
    One issue is the numbers showing up during sensitometer exposure. The step wedge cannot easily be taped and masked on the sensitometer platen because of the need to take it off in the dark and put the other half on. I was thinking of taping each half of the split 9" step wedge on each long side of the sensitometer glass so it opens up like a 3-way fold out. Then I can fold down each half of the step wedge easily in the dark.

I have the little Stouffer wedge where the patches are too small and the strip is not wide enough.

I plan to tape it to some paper so that it feeds cleanly but haven't tested that yet.
    I have tried that and it reads most of them, then gets off track and skips some. The ones that it does read seem to match pretty well with known values.
    I also suspect that the patch-size issue can be solved by putting a smaller mask in the densitometer so that it can see only a small piece of film. That will change the readings of course, but readings are effectively relative anyway.
    Yes, the reading orifice on my other manual units can be varied in size. However, I think the 890 already reads a slit opening and another solution might be to slow down the transit motor.

PS: I highly recommend the "Edit Post" button. Means you can append stuff instead of putting up 50 posts.
    You know that button goes away after a while. You have not typed 500 words into the box and have your internet connection fail? Since the storm, it has really been hit-or-miss if I am connected at any given time. You really read those huge single posts anyway?

Maybe it is just me, but I see the 'post' as a conveyer of a single idea, like the modern equivalent of a 'paragraph.'

Great densitometer, I used mine regularly when I processed a lot of C41 at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Which one is 3/4 inch by 4 3/4 inch for the EG&G?
    Kodak No. 2 ( same as Tiffen No. 2, $102) has a shaded area 1" by 4" and no numbers
    Stouffer T2115 is about the same length but only 1/2" wide and has numbers. It is the best value at $6, everyone should have one

Again neither of those has steps big enough to make a control strip that can be read by the 890.

You _could_ make your own by projection. The "master" could be "calibrated" by you. Then the actual densities of the resulting strip could be plugged into the spreadsheet or graph...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    You _could_ make your own by projection. The "master" could be "calibrated" by you. Then the actual densities of the resulting strip could be plugged into the spreadsheet or graph...
    Yes, if you have a characteristic curve for the film onto which the step wedge will be created you could calculate the exposure needed for each step to get the density interval to be about 0.15 log d. One way would be to modify the advance and film gate of a 35mm camera to expose each step of the wedge.
    However, $29 to have Stouffer do it for me is not too bad