Thread: How Do You Print ULF Color Prints?

Andrew "The RedSun"

How Do You Print ULF Color Prints?

I know some people use Jobo and other rotary processor. The largest print Jobo can do is 20x24. How do you print anything larger than that?

Drew Wiley

Re: How Do You Print ULF Color Prints?

ULF generally refers to the size of the camera and original film itself. Where do you expect to acquire color film that big? Otherwise you're simply referring to a big print, which can hypothetically be made as large as a billboard if you wish, esp if splicing is an option. Commercial labs often have roller-transport paper which will handle at least 60-inch wide
    paper, though many of these have been retired and replaced with wide inkjet devices.
    I have a basic drum processor which will handle up to 30x40 paper. These are hard to find,
    but can be made if you have shop skills.

I don't know what you have for a darkroom, but I used to make prints by mounting the paper on the wall and using a right angle attachment under the enlarger lens. That was way back in my college days. When I wanted to print, it had to be an all-nighter and I would lock myself in one of the class rooms. Developing was done in troughs that I built, rolling the paper in the chem.

Later, I worked at a lab and I was Mr. Murals. The smallest print I made was a 30x40. Things were much better in the lab's set-up. My darkroom was a large room. The enlarger was a Durst 8x10 running on tracks and the easel was a whole wall covered in sheet metal. Paper was held up with magnetic strips. Focusing was done via a switch on a long cable as the enlarger was f-a-r away. Processing was in a 60" wide processor.

I made colour prints and display transparencies (Duratrans), sometimes a b&w print and Kodaliths. B&W and liths were developed rolling them in troughs by hand.

Andrew "The RedSun"

Your color lab seems very exciting. It may be hard now to get such wide color printing paper. It think a lot of folks have migrated to LF inkjet printers.

I used a Saunders 4550 XLG and an Omega D5XL. I can raise them higher on higher stands. I can also bring paper to a lower table.

I give them to Drew, the best printer in the world! ;-p