Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shutter Testing devices

Shutter Testing devices

Would like to hear your comments on shutter testers. Do you have one of these devices or do you bring your lenses to a repair shop when you feel the need to have them tested?

I guess a pro device for heavy daily usage would be overkill. Are there products in the market, which are targeted at photographers and not at professional repair persons?

Octogenarian

Shutter Testing devices

Hi Martin,

Calumet (www.calumetphoto.com) sells a relatively inexpensive shutter tester (just under $100) called the Fidelity Calumet Digital Shutter Tester. It has the reputation of being simple to use and quite accurate.

Shutter Testing devices

Yes, the ZTS Tester Pro.

Tests shutter speeds, metering, AE system, flash synch and is also a hand held reflected and incident exposure meter and flash meter. Easily hand holdable and reads out on LCD screen.

Shutter Testing devices

I have the DCA-1 shutter tester - It came as a kit and was part of the old National Camera course. Works like a charm...

Craigclu

Shutter Testing devices

The tester that Eugene mentioned has been a trusted tool of mine for many years. Mine wasn't a "Calumet" branded one, but from the original maker (I think Delta?). I've got a spreadsheet that does a quick graph showing shutter accuracy at each speed and erratic behaviors, too. It's nothing fancy but it gives me a quick reference and visual image of the shutter's behavior through its speed range. I've got a copy at

http://www.chibardun.net/~craigclu/SHUTMAST.xls

If nothing else, it might be a good start for someone who wants to polish it up. The routine is to test from slow to fast, fast to slow and then slow to fast again. The right side of the graph shows the % variation within a speed setting and the left shows the f stop variation for that speed on average. The data and formulas in the master are for focal plane shutters and there is some "massaging" needed for leaf shutter numbers.

Shutter Testing devices

For what it's worth, I bit the bullet, spent the $100, and got a Calumet tester. I tested my modern Fujinon, Nikon, and Fujinon LF lenses and found them to be very very close to their marked speeds. I also tested my 1950's folding cameras: an Agfa Record and an Agfa Isolette. They too were so close to marked speeds, that there was nothing wrong. What a disapointment !

Shutter Testing devices

There is supposedly a problem with reliability of the Calumet tester due to its dependence on an incandescent light source, which can vary significantly in wavelength. Better testers have stabilized internal light sources. Bob, where is the ZTS Tester Pro unit sold?, and does have an internal stabilized light source?

Shutter Testing devices

ZTS is sold by ZTS. They are in Cincinatti. It uses a light panel like the Gepe Pro 4x5" box as a light source. It should be easily calibrated to any other evenly illuminated light source as well.

Shutter Testing devices

Martin, Do a serch on this forum and Photo.Net for shutter speed tester. Over a year ago I think. Somewhere in one of the two archives there is plans for building a shutter tester using materials available at Radio Shack (under $10.00.), and a cheap laser pointer. Very easy to build. Also needed is a program for your home computer named "Cool Edit" (available as freeware.) I built one and mounted it in a small cardboard box. It is limited in that you can't carry it with you unless you take your computer with you.

Shutter Testing devices

If you happen to be in the market for a darkroom timer, the Metrolux lamp controller as they call it can also be used to test shutter speeds. However, it's expensive (around $350) so you certainly wouldn't want to buy it just to test shutter speeds.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.