Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Find: An Old Story

Just Getting Started

Interesting Find: An Old Story

I love reading old books especially 19th century photography books, bulletins and magazines. Google Books (http://books.google.com) allows you to search and read thousands of old books and periodicals for free. Many you can download in pdf form. When you visit that page, enter your search terms in the "Research" side of the page. If you have Google Play Books installed, you can add them to your library to read later for free.

Anyway, I was reading one this morning and happened upon a story that I think many of us on this forum can identify with, especially those who love antique lenses and are tinkerers. I have no idea if it's true or not, but it doesn't matter. Remember these are scans so sometimes words are misspelled, missing, etc but it isn't a huge issue. The story is titled "The Tale of a Portrait-Lens" and starts just after the opening image on the page. It's from Photo-Era Magazine, November 1922. Enjoy

http://books.google.com/books?id=URn...tput=html_text

-Bill

Re: Interesting Find: An Old Story

Fun story ... brought a smile and a chuckle

Just Getting Started

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I saw a lot of me in that story, all the way to the end. I loved the "accidental bargaining"

So DAGOR77 was already dealing rare lenses in 1922?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Just Getting Started

lol

The Jewish reference certainly dates it.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

I tried to read the book but I can't find a way to open it. Is it because I live in Canada and Google is not allowing me to read?
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Just Getting Started

Peter, surely not. It's an old old magazine that is public domain now. It has to be some issue. Try this link, it allows you to download the entire magazine as a pdf then you can use adobe acrobat to open it. The story starts on page 226ish http://books.google.com/books/downlo...zj1qDrMvicOzNA

Just Getting Started

I missed that Vaughn. It's from '22 so not surprising. That aside, it's a good story.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Quote Originally Posted by wallrat View Post
    Peter, surely not. It's an old old magazine that is public domain now. It has to be some issue. Try this link, it allows you to download the entire magazine as a pdf then you can use adobe acrobat to open it. The story starts on page 226ish http://books.google.com/books/downlo...zj1qDrMvicOzNA
    Sorry, I got an error message stating:

404. That’s an error.
    The requested URL /books/download/Photo_era_Magazine.pdf?id=URnOAAAAMAAJ&output=pdf&sig=ACfU3U3obRJiIrBbiLkczj1qDrMvicOzNA&capid=AFLRE73rP914pL4fl5Ne0sJgzRa5jtjEx_mB3YpfdG-MhWQwEz9sau0SZ5zwmbsSWeTLb2QitAfYKX-FmCLPzQmEK-hSwOeW2zb3Zf71q0MeacuJad6LYj0&captcha=redlesto was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

Can anyone walk me through the process? I tried to google it but I'm getting nowhere....
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca