Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long 6x9 lenses?

Long 6x9 lenses?

I am wondering what the long lenses are that were manufactured especially for the 6x9 format, and which of any long lens could fit thru a baby Graphics standard?

Octogenarian

Re: Long 6x9 lenses?

A small lens in a Copal 0 shutter such as the Nikkor 200M, Fujinon f9 180A, or Fujinon f9 240A would be ideal for the 6X9 baby Graphic.

Take a look at the lens comparison chart on the LF home page.

There aren't many long lenses mounted in smaller Copal 0 shutters. From my experience, these three would be excellent lenses for the 6X9 format.

I'm using a 180 Tele-Arton with my Century Graphic. It fits fine. Maybe not in the category of a really long lens.

Octogenarian

I forgot to mention, you will probably need to use an extension ("top hat") lens board in order to use the Nikkor 200M or the Fujinon 240A on the Baby Graphic. The camera only has about 190 mm of bellows extension.

Wayne, the original issue telephoto lenses for 2x3 Graphics were 8"/5.6 and 10"/5.6 TeleOptar/TeleRaptar. I didn't like my 10", never had an 8"; both have got good reports here and on www.graflex.org, so perhaps my 10" wasn't up to standard.

The longest lens that I'm aware of that's a comfortable fit on a 2x3 Speed is the 12"/4 TTH Telephoto as fitted to Vinten F95 and AGI F134 and F139 aerial cameras. Big fat heavy lens, won't clear the lens throat but can be mounted entirely in front of the board. One drawback, it loses a couple of mm at each end of the frame to what I'd swear is the bellows.

Because of vignetting I now rarely use my 12"/4 tele; instead I use a 305/9 Apo Nikkor on a short string of LTM extension tubes in front of a #1 shutter. Adapters are needed at each end of the tubes. With this rig vignetting is not a problem.

Wayne, all kidding aside, if you want to use a longish lens, have a #1 you can use, and have or can find some LTM tubes front-mounting is not the worst possible option. Whether it makes sense for you depends on the focal length(s) you want to use, the cost of adapter(s), and the cost of alternatives in shutter.

About the 12"/4. When I visited Jim Galli a couple of years ago I showed mine to him. He was impressed, later bought my spare one.

GS, ain't no easily found extension boards for 2x3 Graphics. There may not be any at all.

Also, GS, as I measure on my Graphics, the 2x3 Pacemaker Speed's maximum extension is around 225 mm and the Century/2x3 Crown's is around 195 mm. There are reports on www.graflex.org of successful use of 203/7.7 Ektars and 203/7.5 Raptars on Century Graphics. That said, I doubt either will focus very close on a Century or 2x3 Crown.

Cheers,

Dan

Octogenarian

Thanks Dan. That probably rules out the Fuji 240A. It makes an excellent long lens for the 6X9 format when there is enough bellows extension available.

GS, I shoot a 305/9 Apo Nikkor, also a 240/10 Apo Saphir, 250/6.8 Beryl, 10.16"/9 Taylor Hobson Copying Lens, 260/10 Nikkor-Q (= Process Nikkor, actual focal length 266 mm) and a 300/10 Apo Saphir on my 2x3 Speed. All front-mounted, none a telephoto, and none vignettes. All focus to around 1:10. For longer lenses I use a tandem camera.

There's no reason why a 240A in shutter couldn't be hung in front of an LTM tube, with, of course, the right adapter and flange, on a 2x3 Graphic's board. One has to want to do it, that's all. There's more than one way to add extension.

In my experience, where movements aren't needed inexpensive tubes in front of the board can work well on 2x3 cameras. Remember that, practically speaking, 2x3 Graphics allow minimal movements. I wouldn't recommend this approach for 4x5, though, with narrow tubes like the LTM ones I use.

GS, the longest lens I shoot on 2x3 is a 480/9 Apo Nikkor. To get the extension needed I connect two Graphics front to back with a coupler. If I'd started with a proper 2x3 view camera I'd not have done this, but since I started with a pair of 2x3 Graphics (Pacemaker Speed, Century) the tandem camera approach was less expensive and involved less additional gear than getting a proper ...

Cheers,

Dan

How big is the opening in a 2x3 Graphic's front standard?

48 mm square, Oren.

Some lenses with rear cells that won't pass through, e.g., the 58/5.6 Grandagon, can be mounted by unscrewing the rear cell from the shutter, attaching board with shutter to the front standard, and reattaching rear cell from behind. This doesn't work for all lenses. For example, my 210/5.6 Zircon's rear cell is too big to pass through the gate.

Thanks, Dan. That's a pretty tight constraint. In that light, I'm afraid I don't have any further suggestions to offer.