Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creativity for large format photographers

Creativity for large format photographers

Hello,

I am personally quite interested in tips for creativity and techniques used by the group to find that wonderful photograph, to get into a creative head space. To quote Peter Dombrovskis 1995:

"Finding things to photograph is more to do with one's state of mind rather than the particular environment in which you happen to be. My most productive days are when I move through the landscape with an attitude of acceptance - of leaving myself open to all possibilities rather than expecting to find anything in particular. At best, this intuitave, dream-like wandering may to lead to what one may call a state of grace, a sense of spiritual connection with all around - from the wide landscape to the smallest detail."

How do others in this group get into this state of mind? Is it important? How do you approach creativity / photography? What are you looking for, trying to capture?

Ideas or comments please.

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

I normally load up my camera and equipment and go to one spot that has caught my attention. Then I set up the camera and start looking around. I usually spend the day working within a area not more than a hundred foot square. But then I'm interested mainly in landscape detail. That may not work for you if your interest are different. Its amazing what you can find in one small area once you start looking.

Michael Hewson

G'day Leonard - quoting Dombrovskis, hmmmm - do you live in Oz? Michael Hewson

The trick for me is to just find whatever it takes on a particular day or during a particular time period of phase to get me excited about photography and interpreting everything around me in a hugely visual way. When I'm feeling stagnant, this usually means a change of approach. Like right now I'm finally getting out of my post-college burnout thanks to a new camera and a few new CDs. Not even in the mood to shoot LF right now, I'm grooving on my Nikon F3P and 50/1.2 and Japanese breakbeats. It's all about finding the right state of mind and just running with it.

I think the Dombrovskis quote says it nicely. The shortest version of it would be: "let it happen." I think once you start "trying" to get a good picture you aren't paying attention to your inner self. You start imposing the "rules" on what you are seeing, and most often when that happens, you miss the boat.

Instead, I try to become aware of what is stimulating me visually. That's what I hone in on with the camera. Good technique is needed, of course, to finish the job properly.

What a pleasant surprise to see the name of the great Peter Dombrovskis invoked!

Those from the northern hemisphere may be unfamiliar with his work, (and it is very poorly represented on the web) but he was an incredibly important artist down here. His images of the southwest wilderness of Tasmania were instrumental in saving our last wild rivers in the 80's. Unfortunately he died suddenly and at a tragically young age, in the mountains with his Linhof on his back, shortly after he wrote the thoughtful words quoted by Leonard. It hardly seems possible that 8 years have passed since his death, and now that the battle has moved on to the last great stands of old-growth forest, his passion and commitment, his ability to inspire awe in the natural environment are sorely missed.

JMc. Tasmania

I don't know this Peter Dombrovskis guy - he sounds like a great guy, though - but I think he's right. I carry a camera most of the time, but it seems I never find anything worthwhile to photograph unless I set myself the task to tale pictures. Then I start seeing things.

The "task" may be a small studio set, a patch of woods or a model and a few props in the fields, it doesn't matter. From the time I'm in the field, I'm 100% comitted to what I'm doing, 100% concentrated and interesting things can happen. Yes, it's a dream like trance - and I think that you reach it more easily with experience.

“How do others in this group get into this state of mind? Is it important?”

Freeing the mind of distractions and really seeing what’s there is, to me, extremely important. It’s in this state of mind that I see best and make my best photographs. Unfortunately for me, it’s also the hardest state to achieve. It’s the times when I have no intentions of looking for photographs when I see them the most. When I have my camera strapped to my back, or in the back of the car, I have the hardest time seeing. The key for me is to stop looking so that I can really see what’s there.

Speaking to the psychology of it all, your brain is moving even when you are sitting still. This must be obvious to anyone who has a surprising thought. If you want to be surprised then don’t force yourself into motion, do what it takes to set yourself adrift and be open to what comes along. Read books, look at photographs, take a walk, eat some different food, literally and figuratively and know that chance favors the prepared. You have to have a camera and film ready!

I just shoot my last sheet of film and then I see all kinds of opertunities for photographs.