Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legs for Sinar Norma

Re: Legs for Sinar Norma

I was at B&H in NYC looking at the various Chinese ones and there was a big difference in quality and feel. I think the Fiesols are probably the best. I also had a Sirui (spelling may be off) monopod that was very close to Gitzo quality except for the garish logo and branding. If only the Chinese had better taste in that regard, they could sell more ;-p

I've had a feisol for 3 or 4 years and it's been quite good. The locks still lock tight without cranking on them hard. The CF surface isn't getting rough or splintery. The hardware feels quite well made.

Thanks for all the help.
    It dawned on me that one of the main questions for me would be the leg angles. The manfotto 075 that I use now and which was my first tripod has leg angles completely adgustable. With the aluminium giottos it was my fist encounter with locked positions - and it is quite awkward. Does anyone know where to find complete information about gitzo (and induro) tripods including leg angles? Their websites were of little use - gitzo shows the angles only with some models - and I think with none of the systematic series.. Any clues?
    Feisol has this information on their website - and e.g. for the 3371 the angles are 25°, 75°, und 90° - which I think is rather odd - either too narrow or too wide.. Or am I completely wrong?
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Thanks, Ari - but I don't see any actual information about the angles in those links. Anyway - talking of induro - is there any possibility to use it wihtout the center column?
    Thanks!
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

One of the nice things about Feisol is that you can use a leveling head with a Pan Tilt head and no center column. However, my tripod (CT-3442) is too lightweight to carry a Norma in anything but perfect conditions.

I use a leveling head with the Sinar pan-tilt as well, great combo and very fast and stable to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    Thanks, Ari - but I don't see any actual information about the angles in those links. Anyway - talking of induro - is there any possibility to use it wihtout the center column?
    Thanks!
    Andreios, the center column on Induros is easily removed.
    The legs will extend so that the camera is about 45-50cm high, at their widest setting, if that helps.

FWIW, I've used that tripod, with a manfrotto 229 head, under a Toyo 810G monorail, and it worked very well.

Andreios
    I do not answer the question the way you want but I found the Linhof 3317/3333 Twin shank pro tripod to be the best weight/stability tripod for me. I have giant Gitzo and used many Manfrottos. The big Gitzo is probably more stable but heavier and slower to put up. I modified my Twin shank, did cut about 30 cm of the column, replaced the struts with legs from a small old tripod so now it goes from 20 cm height to taller then me on top of a bucket. I have been using it with a Gitzo 1570 head much, and a big (90mm) old Linhof kardan head depending on camera. It's perfect with the 5x7" Kardan Bi. When using the very old Seneca 8x10 it's also OK, there is more movement in the camera itself, it did also hold the Plaubel 8x10 well.
    The Twin shank is about 3 kg, have spiked/rubber legs, quick and no fuzz to work with. The center column is so wide and well attached to the tripod so it's not such big problem as on other tripods. And there is a lot of cheap ones around. It's a very underestimated tripod, it's weight stability performance is among the best.

Hope this was helpfull
    Trond

I think the current version of that Linhof twin-shank retails for over $2000! but the older ones are quite reasonable on eBay because not many people know how good they are.