Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: 8 x 10" camera for architecture photography

Re: 8 x 10" camera for architecture photography

... what Noah actually says is, that prontor-shutters will be a PITA, since you don't have "T" for long exposures, but only "B". Bulb on a prontor means either locking the cable (for 5+minutes) or keeping the shutter pressed with your fingers - which enhances the risk of vibration.

Go for Copal shutters!

Quote Originally Posted by nottired View Post
    Here's a message I received regarding Prontor shutter.

"Yes - its right that the spring of the Prontor shutter feels maybe hard - but you can feel this only in the phase of tensioning the spring one moment before you expose your picture. And you do it with the cable - so this is for sure nothing what can produce a vibration for your picture. All kinds of focal plane shutters or mirrors in small format or medium format cameras can produce vibrations - but with a large format camera with leaf shutters its nearly impossible to feel or see something of this. The vibration is centric in the optical axis and no mass is moving from one to another side - so to get any bad results of vibration is even theoretic not possible."

Any comments on that?
    Dude, did you read my post, or anyone else's for that matter? get a light-tight box, put a lens on it, go out and shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by nottired View Post
    Here's a message I received regarding Prontor shutter.

"Yes - its right that the spring of the Prontor shutter feels maybe hard - but you can feel this only in the phase of tensioning the spring one moment before you expose your picture. And you do it with the cable - so this is for sure nothing what can produce a vibration for your picture. All kinds of focal plane shutters or mirrors in small format or medium format cameras can produce vibrations - but with a large format camera with leaf shutters its nearly impossible to feel or see something of this. The vibration is centric in the optical axis and no mass is moving from one to another side - so to get any bad results of vibration is even theoretic not possible."

Any comments on that?
    I used Prontor shutters exclusively on my lenses for many years for doing multiple exposures to build flash power on interiors. There must be some vibration because if you do say 12-16 or more pops you start to get some very slight softness in the image-if its not the shutter I don't know what it would be, but perhaps it comes from the necessary stiff cable release. These are good heavy duty shutters tat take allot of heavy use. Unfortunately they are not made anymore and a bit expensive to fix when they do fail.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    Stop worrying about things that will not matter in the big scheme of things. Get a minimal kit together and start shooting. Making pictures successfully with LF is way more craft knowledge than book knowledge.
    .........fwiw and I've only just caught up with this thread, I would personally be concerned that you're running the risk of literally tying yourself up in knots and maybe exhausting yourself mentally before you start................so just buy something that's cheap and go out and play.............do your own thing and don't worry about anybody else

good luck anyhow

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Deardorffs were originally designed and made for Chicago architectural photographers. They're great cameras for that purpose, I've owned two.

I don't know what lenses Tice uses but why would you care?
    I'm not going to comment on what Brian said, as this isn't the point but on re-reading an article on George Tice today, details of the lenses that he uses were mentioned and they are:-

1) 6 1/4" Dagor;
    2) 12" Dagor;
    3) 16 1/2" Dagor; and a
    4) 240mm Schneider

andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for digging up that answer about what focal lengths Tice used. Very interesting. I'd like to read the article (do you have a reference?).

Just saw a show of his 20x24" pt/pl prints in NYC last week. Stunning.

Carl

Would a 6-1/4" dagor even cover 8x10?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Deardorffs were originally designed and made for Chicago architectural photographers. They're great cameras for that purpose, I've owned two.
    Well sort of.......at one time the Dorfs were the best AP camera around and used by top Chicago APs like Hedrich-Blessing but.......and as soon as high end rails came out they dropped the Deardorfs for Sinars and Arcas and when high end digital tech cameras came out the rails got traded in Arca Tech cameras. Jon Miller, long time shooter at HB and currect CEO is a good friend of mine. So yes in their day they were the best around but that day is along time ago.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"