Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 x 10" camera for architecture photography

8 x 10" camera for architecture photography

Hi all,

I'm thinking about expanding my photo kit with a 8 x 10" camera for architecture photography.
    Two most important things important for me would be:

-modularity- a possibility to switch to 4 x 5" format would be nice
    -most importantly- I am looking for best results possible in terms of sharpness and resolution (I own a Scanmate 11000 scanner and would like to squeeze as much as I can from slide film- at least that's the idea)

Very briefly:
    I think it boils down to two possibilites- Sinar P2 with 8 x 10 extension kit or Arca Swiss Monolith. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I buy a Monolith 8 x 10 camera, I can buy another bellows + 4 x 5 rear standard and I'll have a 4 x 5 camera, is that correct? It's hard to get any info on the web and before I make up my mind I don't want to nag the dealer.
    Of course buying into Arca would be much, MUCH more expensive- no 2nd hand market and everything is very expensive..

On the other hand, if I buy a used Sinar P2 8 x 10, will it meet all these strict requirements regarding film flatness to make it all worth the effort? I am after highest image quality possible and I would like to produce xxx mp files from 8 x 10 scans / be able to print really big.

Am I missing any system worth considering, taking into account what is my priority?

Also I'd appreciate your thoughts on the systems and of course suggestions for different systems.

Re: 8 x 10" camera for architecture photography

A Sinar is going to hold the film just as flat and parallel as the Arca or anything else. It also exists in the real world at reasonable prices and you can pick up lens boards, bellows, shades, rails for peanuts on eBay. You can also get it serviced and aligned, and find replacement parts if you should ever use it enough to cause wear.

If you are really concerned about film flatness, a $2.79 roll of Scotch double-sided tape will be better than anything this side of a battery-powered vacuum holder.

The Arca Monolith might be more massive, I've never seen it in 8x10, there certainly aren't very many out there and those that were made probably stayed in the studio. If I wanted the absolutely most stable 8x10 ever made I'd probably go for a late model 8x10 Linhof monorail - they are the best build quality of all and absolute tanks.

But more than any other factor? A really solid tripod and head, the biggest #5-series Gitzo at the least.

I am not in the new Arca Swiss or new Sinar tax bracket, but I have investigated the used options in these cameras in 8x10.

Architecture on an 8x10 monorail means that you'll want to be very careful about how much direct rise you can get. I was within a nanosecond of getting a used Sinar F2 8x10 before I checked out the front rise, and decided that it would be inadequate without a rare, expensive Sinar do-hickey. Maybe the P2 and the Monolith are different than the "field" monorails I looked at, but my recollection was that I'd be better off with a 4x5 monorail for architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by John O'Connell View Post
    I am not in the new Arca Swiss or new Sinar tax bracket, but I have investigated the used options in these cameras in 8x10.

Architecture on an 8x10 monorail means that you'll want to be very careful about how much direct rise you can get. I was within a nanosecond of getting a used Sinar F2 8x10 before I checked out the front rise, and decided that it would be inadequate without a rare, expensive Sinar do-hickey. Maybe the P2 and the Monolith are different than the "field" monorails I looked at, but my recollection was that I'd be better off with a 4x5 monorail for architecture.
    Remember you can always get more rise by tilting up and then plumbing off the standards. If you rough it in like that, you can fine tune the composition with the regular rise and fall and you'll still have the precision you need.

I've worked with both a Sinar P 8x10 and an Arca M, the latter briefly at a studio I used to work for. In addition to what Frank said, correctly in my view, I preferred working with the Sinar, but that could be due to familiarity. Both are terrific cameras, as long as you have someone else to carry them.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I had the Toyo 810G monorail for a while.
    It had full (and I mean full) movements, part of a modular system, precise, rock-solid, and had plenty of cheap parts on eBay and elsewhere.
    If I remember correctly, front rise was 60mm, or something crazy; same for rear rise.
    Get a solid tripod and head, and it's as good as anything out there.

I use Deardorf V8 with a 250mm 10" WF Ektar for architecture. It was good enough for Hedrick-Blessing. Just sayin'
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Unless you're planning to make mural prints of interiors or exteriors, I'd seriously consider just shooting 4x5... I'm working on some 4x5 drum scans at the moment that I did this past week of some EPN(90's era film technology, nothing like modern Provia or E100G for tight grain). But I've really considered just finishing up my 8x10 stockpile of color film, but after just shooting 4x5... I also own a drum scanner, and those PMT's really dig deep into a piece of film to get every part of it... I'm a stickler for high quality, and unless you're going 30x40 or larger, I'd just use 4x5.

YMMV though, just my opinion.

Dan

Its hard to make recomendations without more specifics. What is the end product and how is it going to be used? For example if this is for commercial purposes 8x10 is total overkill.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

There is also a trade off, point of diminishing returns with 4x5 versus 8x10 in that you run up against the depth of field of field wall quicker the larger you go. And every link in chain needs to be first class... Price modern 8x10 lenses yet? That 150XL won't go for cheap even once they stop making 8x10 chrome film. Oh wait, they pretty much already did... If you can find it fresh, be prepared to pay over $30 per sheet.

I think even the well-heeled art star photographers have mostly settled on 8x10 color neg or dropped to 4x5 or digital. Shooting chromes doesn't get them any advantage, it usually requires more lighting and prep time to get the color balance and range exactly right. And you can bet they have to bracket!