Thread: Lens board madness

Lens board madness

I purchased a Schneider Kreuznach 150mm lens for my Sinar F1 4x5. Says Copal NO. 0 on the lens (actually it looks more like N 0 .0). So I purchased a Sinar Copal 0 lens board for it, but the opening is too big for the lens. Anyone know of anything smaller? Or am I just missing something? Thanks.

Re: Lens board madness

Quote Originally Posted by peterdsm View Post
    but the opening is too big for the lens.
    How much too big?

The retaining rings for Copal shutters have a lip on the inner surface that fits through the hole in the lensboard.
    It's several mm larger in diameter than the thread of the shutter itself. This is the way the system is designed.

The correct lensboard hole diameter for a Copal 0 shutter is 34.8mm (or 34,8mm if you prefer ).

(BTW... That is a Copal 0 shutter, not a 00. The 00 is way too small for a 150mm lens.)

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I purchased a Schneider Kreuznach 150mm lens for my Sinar F1 4x5. Says Copal NO. 0 on the lens (actually it looks more like N 0 .0). So I purchased a Sinar Copal 0 lens board for it, but the opening is too big for the lens. Anyone know of anything smaller? Or am I just missing something? Thanks.
    Send it back.

To expand a little on Leigh's comment, older Copal #0 shutters are marked Copal NO.O (I just looked at one), where NO. is an abbreviation of number. For everyone but Copal the "O" in NO. is usually a lowercase superscript and 0 (zero) isn't quite the same character as O (upper case "o").

Re missing something, take Leigh's advice and measure the hole in the board. If you bought from KEH, odds are that they blew it. They have problems with lens boards.