Thread: Shen Hao compendium lens shade on a Toyo field camera.

Octogenarian

Shen Hao compendium lens shade on a Toyo field camera.

I learn something new every day. Earlier this morning, I spoke to Jim by phone (Midwest Photo Exchange). During the course of our conversation, I happened to mention: "too bad the Shen Hao compendium lens shade doesn't fit on the Toyo "A" series field cameras". I was pleasantly surprised when he said: " oh, but it can be adapted to fit. They both use the same diameter screw, with the same thread." I had previously been told that it would require an extensive machining procedure to make the mounting bracket of the Shen Hao compendium fit onto the metal front standard of the Toyo A.

It seems that the mounting screw for the Shen Hao compendium shade is just slightly too long to completely tighten into the threaded hole on the top of the Toyo front standard. Jim says that he has been able to adapt the mounting screw, allowing it to tighten sufficiently to hold the compendium shade, by using washers as shims. In effect, shortening the length of the mounting screw.

Badger Graphic, and now Midwest, are selling the Shen Hao compendium lens shade for $125. This is a considerable saving over the price of a new Toyo Field compendium lens shade.

I’m curious the quality of the Shen Hao Shade. If the distance between the screws is the same as the Linhof attachment points then the screws could be swapped for the Linhof pins. I was just wondering. Let us know ho you like it if you decide to get one. G.

Octogenarian

The Shen Hao shade only has a single serew to hold it on the camera, similar to the design of the Toyo compendium shade. I already have a Toyo shade, so I won't be purchasing the Shen Hao shade. Perhaps someone else can share this information with the participants on this forum.

I have a Shen Hao lens shade for my Shen Hao 4x5. Since I haven't seen the Toyo or others, I can't give a real comparison of the two. The one I have works well. Its fit and finish are ok. Installation was easy (for me, 20+ years as a cabinet maker). The only negative comment I have, and it is rather small, is that the twin metal bars which protrude from the front of the hinge block are slightly loose in their holes. This has no effect on function and is, perhaps, nit picking on my part.

That said, it certainly was less expensive than other alternatives. It works very well and I have had no problems with it in the last year of use. I would recommend it to others who need a decent shade at a decent price.

One thing I have noticed about Chinese manufacturing, they tend to be rather optimistic about their market approach. The claim for the Shen Hao to be 4+ pounds turned out to be 6 pounds in weight. The claim of black finished stainless steel is not correct. After seeing some wear, the metal is black painted brass. China has made great strides in manufacturing, but it remains to be seen if their quality standards are ever to rival those of Japan, America or Germany.