Thread: Field camera compendium?

Field camera compendium?

Does anyone know of a compendium hood that will attach to a 4x5 field camera (not the lens)? I was thinking that one which attaches onto the front standard would be the way to go.

Field camera compendium?

The Shen Hao compendium comes with a small bracket and a couple screws to mount it to the front standard of their wooden field cameras. If your camera's front standard is similar to the Shen Hao's, this same shade would probably work. At $125, this is also one of the more affordably priced compendium shades on the market.

Kerry

Field camera compendium?

Mark, Lee makes a compendium shade that mounts to their filter holders. If you already use their filter holder system as I do, it's very convenient. If not, it would require the purchase of the adaptor rings for each lens with a different filter size. For my 5 lenses, I need three adaptor rings. If you shoot lenses wider than 90mm you will need to be careful that your lens shade does not vignette. With the Lee system it would mean using a wide-angle compendium hood.

Field camera compendium?

Kerry,

Is there a website with a picture of that compendium?

Thanks

Field camera compendium?

http://www.shen-hao.com/07.htm

http://www.shen-hao.com/02.htm

?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Octogenarian

Field camera compendium?

Hello Jon,

There is a picture of the Shen Hao compendium lens shade at:

www.badgergraphic.com/search_product2.asp?x=2597.

It is very similar in appearance to the compendium shade used on the the Toyo 45A field cameras, but the two shades are not interchangeable.

Field camera compendium?

For what camera?

Wista makes a clamp-on compendium for the front standad. linhof makes several compendiums that mount to the front standard.

Field camera compendium?

Mark,

Also, if you are resonably handy, you can adapt a compendium from one supplier to fit other brands of cameras. I mentioned the Shen Hoa originally because it's inexpensive and comes with a bracket than may fit other 4x5 wooden field cameras. In the past, I have fashioned my own brackets to adapt compendiums to my cameras. For several years, I used a Linhof shade with my Canham DLC. Why? Because the Linhof shade was reasonably small and compact, and I got it cheap on eBay. I made my own little bracket out of aluminum to attach it with a single thumbscrew to the front standard of the Canham. Worked like a charm. I am currently using a Canham shade (oh, the irony) on my ACRA-SWISS F-Line. I may eventually try to make another adapter to use the smaller, lighter Linhof shade (or maybe a Shen Hao shade) on my ARCA-SWISS.

I guess the point is to not get too discuraged if you can't find a compendium that directly fits your camera. It may be possible to adapt one from a different manufacturer to meet your needs.

Kerry

Field camera compendium?

Thanks for the info, everyone. I had once tried a shade that attached to the lens, but gave it up as impractical for my camera (a Zone VI) and lenses. The clamp-on idea was what I was after. I'll check out the Wista and Shen-Hao shades, I would guess one or both could be made to work.