Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of the new Badger Brand wooden field camera are now posted.

Octogenarian

Pictures of the new Badger Brand wooden field camera are now posted.

I just checked the Badger Graphic website, and pictures of the new F-1 Badger Brand 4X5 wooden field camera have been posted.

There is no mention of the type of materials used to build the camera, nor the maximum bellows extension. It says that it can take a 360mm lens. I assume that means a Nikon 360 tele. I would guess, about 300mm. of bellows and brass plated metal.

The camera appears to be a close copy of the Japanese Tachihara, probably made in China. It is priced slightly below the Shen Hao and the Tachi. The camera is relatively light weight, comes with a folding focusing hood/ ground glass protector, and certainly looks nice in the photos.

Dave Karp

Thanks Eugene, I have been curious.

Looks a bit like a Tachi... but it appears to have a Graflock back! That's a pretty huge difference!

From the pictures (I haven't had my hands on one, yet)...

It has features in common with both the Tachihara and the Shen Hao, but is definitely not a copy of either. As Donald mentioned, it has a Grafloc back, like the Shen Hao. It has more rear movements than the Tachihara (shift), but less than the Shen Hao (no rear rise or rear axis tilt). Like the Shen Hao, it appears to have both base and axis tilt on the front. I'm not a big fan of pop-up focusing hoods in general, but the one of the F1 looks more usable than the Shen Hao hood, and it's included in the price of the camera and easily removable. The fact the it has a Grafloc back, and comes with the focusing hood, makes the $550 price quite attractive. Looks like there is a new option for those looking for an affordable field camera.

Kerry

Octogenarian

Just from looking at the pictures, it appears that this camera uses a springing mechanism for the groundglass frame that is very similar to the one that Ebony uses. The ability to slide the rear standard forward when using a wide angle lens is similar to the method that Gandolfi uses. The lever-type locks on the front standard look similar to the ones that Wista uses.

You might say that this camera borrowed features from nearly all of the wooden flat bed folding field cameras in the marketplace, and added a few of its own. Now, if the build quality is there (??), it just may turn out to be a winner.

Octogenarian

P.S.

The price just dropped to $525. That's going to be hard to beat for a new 4X5 flat bed field camera. Even one made out of plastic (carbon fiber).

Anyone live in the area to check it out? I was all set to order a Shen Hao until I saw this. Its lighter, comes with a focusing hood, Grafloc back and a fresnel. Now I really don't know what to do.

If it is at all decent it's game over for the other entry-level view camera makers!

I have one in my possesion. I live 20 minutes away from Badger. Jeff let me borrow one to review and compare to my Shen-Hao for my website. I'll let you guys know tomorrow when I've had more time to play with it. I'll have it thru Thursday.

Octogenarian

Ken,

If it is possible, please weigh the camera, along with the folding focusing hood and lensboard, and include it in your review.

Also, if possible, determine the type of wood and metal used in the construction, as well as the type and quality of the finish. Thanks.