Thread: 6x7 Calumet Roll Film Back Opening location

6x7 Calumet Roll Film Back Opening location

I recently purchased a used 6x7 calumet roll film back, no documentation. I propose to use a grease pencil or cardboard mask to shoot the "right" place on a 4x5. What is the best method to determine the exact borders of the film opening? Outside of shooting pictures of some graph paper and painstakingly making notes and fooling around. Or are they at well known (but unknown to me) positions?

Thanks

Not to be a complete idiot or anything, certainly to display my ignorance, but Calumet is still in business. Why don't you ask them? If you're lucky, the holders were supplied with a template for marking the GG and Calumet will be able to supply you with one..

Ah, no, I would be the idiot. They actually have the focus mask available for sale, as well as an instruction booklet for free download. However...that being said, to order it I have to place an order, wait, visit courier, [possibly] pay some customs....and what is worse, I won't stop at $4.60, I will want a lens tool, and this and that and it will end up being a $500 focus mask.

I think I should still figure out how to do this myself But good idea, if doing it myself fails I will order it.

Cut a piece of mat board the same dimensions as the 6x7 holder. Mark and cut out a rectangle having the location and dimensions of the "opening" in the back of the film holder. Put the mat board in the camera and mark the opening in the board on the ground glass. That is the "right place."

Ok, that is so obvious and straightforward I am now embarrassed. Actually both answers were. I guess everyone has a "slow" day occasionally.

Thanks for the help; much appreciated. I now go to hang my head and lay out a ground glass...

Paul,

The other way of doing it is to place the holder into place...take the groundglass off of the camera and you'll see the opening of the filmholder through the groundglass. Mark it and there you go!

In regards to the instructions... they're not all that good. Personally, I found it useless and just played with the holder with a cheap roll of B&W film.

At the end of the day, I got rid of the thing because I found the spacing in the film uneven. It's a GIANT pain in the butt!

I ended up buying a Linhof Super Rollex 6x9 roll film holder and it works like a million bucks. And the best thing about it is that the film comes out spaced properly...as it should! It works like a gem and the gearing makes it a real pleasure to use. Suffice to say, I'll NEVER go back to either the Calumet or Cambo versions.

One photog's opinion.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Intersting how two people can use the same equipment and have totally opposite experiences and opinions. I thought the instruction booklet was indispensable in learning how to load the Calumet 6x7 holder. I also didn't have a film spacing problem with it though I did buy it new and didn't use it much, maybe over a period of time a problem would have developed. I do agree though that because of the complex loading procedure it's kind of a pain to use. OTOH, when in the field it's nice to be able to just slip it in the camera without having to first remove the back, find a place to set the back down where you won't step on it, fit the holder into the camera, then reverse the procedure after making the photograph.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The suggestions above are excellent. Just want to offer a tip with regards to uneven spacing: I bought a new 6x9 one 6 years ago. It's had over 2500 rolls run thru it and yes the spacing is still uneven. At first, the last (#8) frame ran off the tail end of the film. I found it was because I cranked too fast. Wind slowly (especially from Start to frame 1) and the last frame is OK.

I do studio catalog work and there just is not time to hassle with a Rollex-style holder. For me the convenience outweighs the uneven spacing. I also cut each frame and sleeve the film individually so uneven spacing is less important.

Hi Brian,

Perhaps mine was manufactured on either a Monday or a Friday. :>)

I just didn't/couldn't get along with it and, therefore, I dispensed with it.

I don't do much shooting out in the field. Therefore, the removal of the groundglass back doesn't pose an issue for me. But, I can well see your point.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!