Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dody Weston Thompson passes at 89

New Orleans, LA

Re: Dody Weston Thompson passes at 89

Very interesting. I especially enjoyed reading that she was originally from New Orleans and knew Clarence John Laughlin and that she was the model for one of his more famous images. And then to go out
    West and get to know the Weston's, Ansel, Merg and to be a part of the f64 movement! What an interesting life. Hopefully, someone will do a book of her and her work.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Mark, thanks for posting.

Dody had a long and distinguished career in the history of fine art photography. Much of what she championed, are values still supported by many members of the photographic community.

My first memory of Dody was in 1949, on a visit to Wildcat Hill when she was Edward Weston's apprentice. During the years that followed, she participated in the production of his Fiftieth Anniversary Portfolio, the Print Project, was awarded the Bender Award, and started Aperture with Ansel and Minor.

Dody had an excellent portfolio of her personal photography, utilizing 4x5 and 5x7 formats, producing contact printed gems. She also had a marvelous way with words, writing with keen insight about both Edward and Brett.

For over sixty years, my life has been enriched by Dody's friendship; I will miss her.
    Thanks for the perspective Merg - even with historical inaccuracies it's a good read about a fascinating woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Hi Brian-

Dody had nothing to do with the Weston Gallery in Carmel. That gallery was opened by Cole Weston's third wife, Maggi, in 1975.

Merg
    Thanks Merg.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.