Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Platinum?

Digital Platinum?

I wonder if anyone's tried using platinum pigments in an inkjet printer?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: Digital Platinum?

What would that accomplish over something like a piezography set of inks?

And what is a platinum pigment? Metallic platinum ground up in ink?

Some, not anyone I know of jhere, already produce Inkjet Platinum prints, and they are of course fakes.

Ian

Platinum/Palladium printing is one of the easiest and most consistent of the alternative processes. So I don't know of much if any benefit to spitting out the prints vs contact printing whether from in-camera or digital negatives.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Bill,

Classic platinum is based on Ferric Oxalate (a light sensitive iron compound) and Potassium Chloroplatinite (a salt of platinum). In the traditional method, one actually makes an iron print during the exposure. During developing there is a bonding effect that happens and everything drops out except the platinum on the paper. (And some palladium if you like.)

There are no pigments. It is a chemical process. The color comes from the platinum and palladium.

That said, I have made a print recently, with my special mix of Cone's K7's, that are indistinguishable from the platinum print - from the same negative. The color is almost identical and the tonal range matches nicely.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Preston Birdwell

I always wondered what platinum printing was. I've seen a few prints and the tonality is wonderful. I am curious about something, though, Lenney. Given the two compounds you mention above, where does the palladium come from, or is there a different compound used in the platinum/palladium alt-process?

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

"where does the palladium come from, or is there a different compound used in the platinum/palladium alt-process,"

Palladium and platinum, along with rhodium, ruthenium, iridium and osmium, are metals in a group of elements referred to as the PGMs (the platinum group metals). The largest mines for palladium and platinum metals are in Russia and South Africa. You may have noticed that one of these mines in South Africa was in the news recently because of a strike of the workers that resulted in a number of deaths.

Platinum printing, as we use the term today, typically means a combination of palladium + platinum, or perhaps only palladium. There is no specific pt/pd curve, as the shape depends highly on the combination of these two metals. Prints made with pure palladium, when printed with analog negatives, typically have a long toe and long shoulder.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Some, not anyone I know of jhere, already produce Inkjet Platinum prints, and they are of course fakes.

Ian
    Course flakes?

There seems to be a lot of enmity here as regards p/p that I rarely see applied to GSP's and "pigment" (inkjet) printing, which I believe many LF shooters here (not me) engage in.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Howk View Post
    Platinum/Palladium printing is one of the easiest and most consistent of the alternative processes. So I don't know of much if any benefit to spitting out the prints vs contact printing whether from in-camera or digital negatives.
    Are you forgetting the price of platinum??