Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 165mm Lenses - Why Is It An Uncommon Focal Length?

Re: 165mm Lenses - Why Is It An Uncommon Focal Length?

Before WWII Zeiss made 4 different 165mm Tessar lensesof varying maximum apertures - f2.7, f3.5, f4.5 and f6.3, all covered 5x4 but the slower lenses had far better definition. Meyer,Ross, Dallmeyer and other European companies made 165mm (or 168mm) lenses/

Ilex made a 165mm f6.3 Acutar which was coated.

Ian

A 165mm is not uncommon in 8x10.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I wonder why there are so few 180mm and 270mm lenses that cover 8x10. They are the equivalent of 90mm and 135mm on 4x5, both very popular focal lengths.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

I recently purchased a 6.5" Ilex Paragon in an Ilex #3 shutter from a fellow LF member, along with a set of 5.5" cells that fit the shutter. I have had the opportunity to shoot with both of them and have been very impressed. I especially like the 6.5" focal length. Both combinations are quite sharp if stopped down to around f8, and give excellent "portrait" effects wide open at 4.5. I'm still debating the appeal of the 5.5" combination. It's too close to my 150mm Fujinon and doesn't seem to be quite as good a performer as the 6.5" FL. But that is probably more related to being spoiled by the Fujinon. Just for giggles, I used the front element of one and the rear element of the other and got an effective focal length of around 190mm. The circle of illumination was wide enough to cover 5x7 with room to spare. This combination was quite sharp in the center of the image, dropping off in sharpness very rapidly when wide open. The more I stopped down, wider the circle of sharpness became. I haven't shot with that combination yet, but I certainly intend to try!
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Before WWII Zeiss made 4 different 165mm Tessar lensesof varying maximum apertures - f2.7, f3.5, f4.5 and f6.3, all covered 5x4 but the slower lenses had far better definition.

Ian
    I have a CZ Jena 165/3.5 from about 1950 that's one of my favorite lenses. Even though it's just single coated ("T" which I'd never seen before without the "*"), I don't recall having any flare problems. At about f/8 it's pretty sharp, and more open, it's a "gentle focus" lens, which is nice for portraits and some other subjects. I wish there were modern 165's out there, it's a nice focal length.

Drew
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    I recently purchased a 6.5" Ilex Paragon in an Ilex #3 shutter from a fellow LF member...
    Those paragons are real sleepers I think... probably best value for the buck of any lens out there.. I have a 240 that is really nice - they seem to render a bit 'grainier' or 'grit-ier' whatever that means.. but not unsharpe or un-contrasty

they have a really nice 'industrial' feel and at 5.6 or 8.. make a pretty nice portrait lens

oh yeah..165.. just picked up a 165 angulon for my 5x7 that needs to be tested..
    Last edited by DrTang; 22-Oct-2012 at 10:20. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by drew.saunders View Post
    I have a CZ Jena 165/3.5 from about 1950 that's one of my favorite lenses. Even though it's just single coated ("T" which I'd never seen before without the "*"), I don't recall having any flare problems. At about f/8 it's pretty sharp, and more open, it's a "gentle focus" lens, which is nice for portraits and some other subjects. I wish there were modern 165's out there, it's a nice focal length.

Drew
    I've a CZJ "T" coated 150mm 150mm f4.5 from about 1953/4 the coatings are excellent and it's remarkably flare free, however there's a definite blue tinge, it has much heavier coatings than my late (last batch) 150mm f5.6 Xenar.

About 2 years ago there was a similat T coated 150mm Tessar with a 1938 serial number for sale on ebay, one of the first. I've bought a second CZJ 165mm f6.3 Tessar off this forum this month, it should be waiting for me on my return to the UK. These are lovely small lenses and remarkably sharp.

Ian

Older 165mm lenses (for example, 165mm f4.5 Heliar) were commonly found on 10x15cm "postcard" format cameras, which is slightly bigger (longer) than 4x5". the corresponding 150mm lens was common on many 9x12cm format cameras.

cheers

Tim

I have a nice 6 1/2 inch Wollensak Raptar, in a Rapax shutter, coated, of course. It came on my B&J Speed Press 45. The B&J has a lot of front movements possible, so the larger image circle helps. I've got two 4X5's. I use the speed graphic as a handheld camera, and the B&J on the tripod.

Ilex made a 165mm and sold it under the Caumet name as well. It came in a Seko shutter and was a Tessar type lens with limited coverage. I used one where I worked for a couple of years and found it to be sharp but had limited coverage.