Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do i get my lens fixed?

Where do i get my lens fixed?

I didn't know I shouldn't move seiko shutter speed while cocked but I did it and when I set it to 1 sec, the shutter opens up more than 10 sec. 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 looks like it opens up longer than it should. I might have broken the little pin that rides against the speed dial but it seems like other speeds works fine 15 to 500.

Is there a way to fix it? Thanks,

Re: Where do i get my lens fixed?

Try working it a few times to see if it frees up, but for heaven's sake don't force anything. If it doesn't free up, Carol Miller at Flutot's is my favorite lens and shutter go-to person. I have had her work on one of these for me (as well as several other shutter types) and it was returned in perfect condition and the speeds dead on. Contact her at Flutotscamerarepair.com to get on her schedule as she is very busy. Definitely worth the wait. Very, very thorough and quite reasonable on pricing.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

It does freeze up for first 8 second and close up.Does that mean it's not fixable?

I can also recommend Carol at Flutot's, and just got a shutter back from her on Friday. Yes she is busy, I was on her wait list for roughly six months before my name came up then about three weeks from when I sent the shutter in till when I got it back. She does mention a rush service on her website, but I have used it. Might be worth checking into if your in a hurry.

Roger

Rusty, the fact that it works at all with just a lag time would seem to indicate that it is only binding a bit. It doesn't sound like anything is outright broken. Send it to Carol and let her work her magic. I have sent her a couple of shutters that should have been named Lazarus since she literally brought them back from what seemed to be locked up shutter death. If you are in a hurry, there are a few other fine repair people like SK Grimes, but the cost is usually substantially higher and there may be a considerable wait for those other services as well.

As to the slow speeds being off. This shutter possibly has a separate gear train for low and high speeds. It sounds as though something in the low end has been damaged or simply pushed out of it's normal operation.

When Carol is done with it, you will get a read out of the speeds that are marked and the actual speed at which each marked speed is operating. If they are off a bit, it means nothing in terms of usability. You just need to adjust your thinking in terms of setting the f stop to accommodate the actual speed.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Thanks guys. I will contact her. I hope it's not something major.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Some shops don't/won't/can't repair Seiko shutters, I don't know if Carol falls in that category as I've never asked her. Several years ago I had a Seiko completely rebuilt by ICT Camera in Mountain View, CA after another shop told me it was unrepairable. They also do CLAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    Some shops don't/won't/can't repair Seiko shutters, I don't know if Carol falls in that category as I've never asked her. Several years ago I had a Seiko completely rebuilt by ICT Camera in Mountain View, CA after another shop told me it was unrepairable. They also do CLAs.
    ITC is another first rate shop, at least with the one shutter I had overhauled there. The turn around time was less than 3 weeks. I've also had a shutter overhauled by SK Grimes and can recommend then.

My guess is that Carol can repair your Seiko, but it's good to have options.

Roger

Frank Marshman at Camera Wiz, 169 Pleasant Hill Road, Harrisonburg, VA 22801, ph (540) 434-8133

Certainly not a six month wait, good service, nice guy.

Also, Bob Watkins at http://precisioncameraworks.com is excellent, more sophisticated perhaps.

I had two Seiko shutters repaired brilliantly by Roger at Camtech in Hamilton, Ontario.
    (905) 389-8545
    Being in New York, it may be worth a call.
    Fast turnaround, good prices, and most importantly, great work.