Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Version of my "A Photo Folio" HTML 5 Website

New Version of my "A Photo Folio" HTML 5 Website

I'll throw myself to the lions here and solicit comments on the latest version of my website, http://frankpetronio.com. It's set-up by the A Photo Folio service using their new Design X option, which sends a HTML 5, color-managed version to modern browsers and Flash to everything else. It's designed for fast connections and has extra-large 2048-pixel (250 to 500 kb) images for those with Retina displays or large monitors. I've seen it on iPads and iPhones and it works well.

Don't even try it if you have a slow connection or an old browser. Seriously, it's aimed at photo editors and ad agency art buyers - most of the commercial photographers they are looking at have comparable high-bandwidth Flash websites, so the size of the images is a plus, not a negative in this case.

I'm thick skinned and won't take constructive criticism personally, so fire away... at the very least, it's a good way to find typos ;-p Thanks
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 20-Oct-2012 at 09:10.

Re: New Version of my "A Photo Folio" HTML 5 Website

Frank, works very well...

Your images are... hmm... just your in style (I like to look at them, though I would not think of imitating them...) and the presentation is excellent...

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Frank, it looks fantastic on my iPad. The images fill my screen perfectly. Gorgeous work as well.

I'm getting the HTML5 version and it seems much better than the Flash version as I remember it. I thought going the Flash route was a major mistake, so glad to see this HTML5 version.

I can usually find something wrong with a website pretty quickly but no major problems here. There area few nits: the vertical scrolling, when needed (Empire of Silver grid view) is nonstandard - my scroll wheel is suddenly sluggish; clicking off to the side of a grid view brings up an image (unexpected). Minor things.

On an (old) iPad the scroll is a little clunky but there's probably nothing that can be done about that and it's not too bad. I don't have a phone size device to test on.

There's one problem with new photo #2 (Frances), I think you were a little heavy with saturation slider on her eyes. It's a little gimmicky.

Not perfect, but definitely technically (and photographically) impressive and ready to ship, IMO.
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

Abuser of God's Sunlight

That's definitely among the best gallery implementations I've seen. How customizeable is it?

Some minor tweaks I'd like to see:

-navigation text below the image in a lighter shade so it doesn't compete with the image.
    -something less obtrusive than the bright red arrows and thumbnail icons for when you hover over the image. I found that effect very distracting.
    -some padding between your logo and the image so they don't crash into each other at smaller window sizes.

I've started using juicebox, which is similar. No flash, just html5, and customizeable enough so I've been able to remove virtually all the features.

Thanks, those are all useful comments to me. I kind of agree about the blue-eyed/false color image, it is out of step for me and even though she does indeed have striking blue eyes, it reads faked even though it wasn't ;-p And yes the nav icons and bottom bar are easily adjusted. The padding with the logo is kind of an issue since enlarging it throws things off on the larger screens... it's an issue I should solve with a smaller logo I guess.

See http://aphotofolio.com. The implementation works pretty well although ironically, the control panels are Flash-based. I can control many aspects but not all, and they are unwilling to customize at any price. It's about $1000 to go with APF, plus $17/month hosting, which is definitely on the expensive side but a fraction of developing the same capabilities from scratch. I tried LiveBooks, DripBook, ViewBook, etc. and came back to APF as being the most responsive, best looking, etc.

Truth is that after dropping a grand I want to use it for a couple of years before bolting to something better, but first I'd like to see what other people do with regards to high-rez displays, tablets, HTML 5, etc. and see what emerges as the best off-the-shelf solution. I definitely do not want to ever "roll my own" from scratch again because I know the developer hours will always be a large multiple of the initial estimate!

Unfortunately I doubt you can keep the same website for more than 2-3 years without it loosing its marketing appeal and also falling behind whatever technology is prevailing. I'm not saying you can't or that people don't, but in terms of pushing for commercial work you want to keep up with it if for no other reasons than that your competitors are.

Frank, your site works very well, even on my moderately slow dsl connection. The gallery implementation is excellent, and I enjoyed seeing some of your images that were new to me.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I kind of agree about the blue-eyed/false color image, it is out of step for me and even though she does indeed have striking blue eyes, it reads faked even though it wasn't
    I suspected it wasn't fake and was making a little joke there. Incredible eyes.

I agree with Paul in that I don't like the red cursor indicators obscuring the image. The ideal solution (IMO) is basic left and right buttons that don't change position as you cycle through images. Also, space-bar for next image is nice. I see arrow keys work nicely.

That's a nice clean presentation. Much better than average. I like the size of the images and that you can navigate through a gallery with keyboard arrows.

Hey you made Frances black and white. I was just joking, it doesn't look fake! Put back the color version!