Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens and Repro has closed!

Re: Lens and Repro has closed!

I got one of my favourite lenses for 8 x 10 from there. It was overlooked as a 8 lb. meyer trioplan probably from E Germany. Massive glass and competes with any of the big brass I own.

things going away... seems to be the way it is from here on out.

It is indeed sad tidings. From what I understand Geoffrey Ithen and much of their LF stock will be moving to Calumet. One good piece of news for us is that their repairman, whose name I have forgotten, will continue working, but will be housed at the Center for Alternative Photography. He used to only repair or modify their stock, now his expertise will be available to all.

I remember going there the last time I was in NYC. That was in 1976.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

That's too bad. I had purchased a few things from them. One thing that hurt them was a terrible website.
    It was impossible to navigate their used inventory, which is where the goodies lived.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I haven't bought anything from them in a long time and only bought one or maybe two things from them ever. Their prices on the things I looked at were always higher than I could buy the same thing elsewhere. NYC rents, taxes, etc. I assumed they made their money on the occasional thing that couldn't be found anywhere else and/or on rentals. But I'm still sorry to see them go, they were a major player in the used LF gear market for a long time.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I think a lot of deep pocketed professionals who didn't want to dig around eBay or wait for the perfect item to pop up used L&R and paid top dollar for the convenience. Where else could you choose from a dozen Graflex SLRs ready to go, albeit at $2k a pop?

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    That's too bad. I had purchased a few things from them. One thing that hurt them was a terrible website.
    It was impossible to navigate their used inventory, which is where the goodies lived.

- Leigh
    well. their inventory list had update dates of like 2007 or 2009 , cant remember.. so i gave up loooong time ago

Michael Alpert

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    It is indeed sad tidings. From what I understand Geoffrey Ithen and much of their LF stock will be moving to Calumet. One good piece of news for us is that their repairman, whose name I have forgotten, will continue working, but will be housed at the Center for Alternative Photography. He used to only repair or modify their stock, now his expertise will be available to all.
    Geoffrey was exceptionally helpful when I was looking for a 5x7 enlarger with a cold light head. I wish him well in the new location.