Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 24" x 30" print storage

Drew Wiley

Re: 24" x 30" print storage

If you take that fome-core idea to the next level and use something like 1/2" Gatorboard
    you would have something a bit stronger, inert (relatively archival), and also easy to assemble. More expensive than regular fomecore, but stiffer and more moisture resistant
    too. Art stores sometimes sell flat carrying cases for big prints made from lightwt corrugated styrene which is relatively safe and cheap. They're generally black and have velcro closures. Retail art store markups are generally obscene; but this is something you
    could obviously shop around for, or simply copy by buying the bulk sheets. I can be glued
    with any conventional styrene or model cement, and isn't difficult to cut - a fraction of the
    price of honeycomb acrylic or polycarbonate.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Perhaps using some of the plastic storage bins for a department store would be ok? Perhaps the kind meant to slide under a bed? I could lay a sheet of mat board down, with a print face up on top of it. I could then use interleaving paper between prints.
    It wasn't clear to me from your initial post what the goal was, but plastic storage bins were my first (non-archival) thought, though large enough for your prints may be difficult to find as well. Maybe the large flat XMAS storage ones? Oooh, red & green! Uline is a pretty good source for general container needs. Interleaving paper good.

University products in Mass. can make any size box for you. I had them make half a dozen 26x38x3 clamshell boxes out of the wax coated acid free board. Cost was approx. $30 per box. Shipping, however, was oversized and cost a small fortune.

Peter,

While expensive, Archival Methods makes a very nice museum case that holds 24x30s. It's expensive but built like a tank. I've used it when showing my work in print form. Holds quite a bit.

I have some nice boxes from Epson 24x30 paper that will hold 25 prints (that's the number of sheets that came in the box.). You can have a couple. As a matter of fact, I'll be in Oshkosh tomorrow to view the Ansel Adams exhibit at the Paine Museum. I can bring a couple boxes with me if you want them. Let me know. I'll send you a pm with my cell #. Jim

Search your local craigslist and furniture rehab shops. I've seen lots of printmakers' or architects' cabinets for sale here. They're tall chests of drawers, each of which is around 30 wide, roughly the same dimension long, and maybe 2 inches deep. They'll hold a whole lot of prints.

Jim dropped off two boxes that are going to work very well for my short-term storage needs. Thanks!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks Vaughn. I hadn't come across those.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I have order quite a few boxes, etc from them. Very good quality.