Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The sound of one hand...?

The sound of one hand...?

I broke a metacarpal yesterday, requiring a substantial cast, leaving me without the use of my left hand (I am left-handed) for 3-4 weeks.
    Have you gone through this before?
    Would you care to share any tips regarding loading film, processing, shooting, etc with one hand?
    Or just tell me to relax, which I'm already finding impossible?

Thanks

Re: The sound of one hand...?

Aye. I am ambidex, and my left hand was torn up pretty badly by icefall (it looked like somone chew on it and spat out). Half of nerves there never recovered in full, so i had to relearn how to use right arm as primary (i cant hold wee things with left one anymore). Not fun , but i get by Took a while, though.

Sorry to hear about yours.. It will get there, you can use torso movements to help a bit with day to day stuff.. Shooting, if you always were left handed might be a bit iffy, but if you do use release - should be ok. Loading film - tricky, but can be done with 4x5 - just need to figure out how to keep flap.. i cant think of good way to load 8x10 with single hand.

I trained right one by doing all those funny things like rotating juggling balls and pencil between fingers. Helped a lot. But again - took time.

Thanks, Sergei; sorry to hear about your hand, but you're still shooting, and that in itself is remarkable. Moloditz!
    I have no problem with dexterity in my right hand, it's just the stuff that really needs two hands will be a problem, i.e. loading film onto a Jobo reel.
    My wife says to turn this into an opportunity for reflection and rest, which sounds harder to me than loading a Jobo reel with one hand!

You can get that loading thingy for Jobo reels Then you need one hand only.

Sounds like a good time to do some scouting for future shots!

Can you take scouting notes w/ your non-writing hand?

You could also bring your 35mm camera, sorry, I mean iphone.

Been there. Adapt.
    Even if you aren't able to accomplish much during your recovery, it will be an eye opener for you!
    Do it. Turn a bad situation into a priceless experience.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I broke my right thumb in a botched contact jam move (don't ask – my first broken anything, ever), resulting in a hand cast to make sure it healed correctly. Try to keep in mind that there are people out there without arms (or legs) who function happily their entire lives. You're only in it for a few weeks and you will become more adept at using one hand as time goes on. This might even turn out to be great learning experience for you. RELAX.

I adjusted for the short time (6 weeks) I was unable to use my dominant hand, both physically and work–wise. I got a lot of procrastinated work done on the computer (like editing scans), but did go into the hills with my LF kit a week before cast removal. It was only slower and a bit more of a hassle to set up and shoot, but I didn't bother with any lab (wet) work, until the cast came off.

Heal fast!

Drew Wiley

I'm right-handed, and when I was young broke my right wrist. I did a lot of illustration back
    then and was surprised how fast my left hand acquired the same skills as my right. But not
    long after I was out of the cast and had full use of my right hand again, my left lost its
    analogous dexterity. Strange.

I'm right handed and broke my 5th metacarpal in the first term of my freshman year, when I was taking a photo course and a journalism course. I also had mono at the time. On my right hand, my little and ring fingers were splinted with the cast, but I had the (awkward) use of my other fingers. I learned how to do a lot of things left-handed, adapted a lot, and just got used to holding a Nikon F4 with a casted hand. I suspect its impact on your day-to-day life and photo activities will diminish to mere inconvenience in short order. By the time you get the cast off, you'll have adapted in ways you probably hadn't expected.