Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: View Camera Conference

View Camera Conference

The Second Biennual View Camera conference will be April 23-25 in Monterey, CA. There will be a trade show with more lf equipment on display in one place than at any other show except possibly the NYC show in the fall. In addition to the trade show (attendance is free) there is a keynote speaker on The Legacy of Large Format on the Monterey Peninsula. There are also panels on topics such as selecting equipment, preenting your work to galleries, museums and publications, alt processes, the art and craft of black and white, the digital darkroom, selecting and using color films, etc. The complete program is in PDF format one our web page

www.viewcamera.com

steve simmons

View Camera Conference

Hi Steve

In view of the prior criticism you have received, I feel I need to begin a gentle prod by thanking you for the enormous work for LF you've done with View Camera magazine (and I'm one of the foreigners who pays twice as much as the US readers per issue, yet is still grateful for this source of information and inspiration). Last year I was fortunate to buy the entire back collection of View Camera, and over several months had an amazing education into a world of LF, only a little of which I was already aware of. I would actually say I would be willing to pay twice as much for it to double in size (I'd rather not go monthly - I seem to pay more attention to less frequent publications).

However... there has been some tension here about commercial ads, and it was eventually (and I think, correctly) decided that some have a good basis for being here. Yet, this ad of yours is the fifth ad for this conference! It would seem tidier to at least keep the thread together and just update previous threads if there are changes, rather than always starting a new thread. And if there's no new business, maybe it should be left as is. In addition to this thread, threads were started:

2003-10-03 12:37 PM

2003-12-11 01:18 PM

2004-01-25 07:50 AM

2004-01-06

View Camera Conference

I thought that this matter was previously addressed. What, exactly, is the purpose of the Large Format Photography Forum?

View Camera Conference

Richard's reminder is right on. Here are the guidelines in case you missed them:

"Regular posters may announce, in a non-repetitive way, educational events such as workshops and conferences, as well as gallery openings."

View Camera Conference

Keep reminding us about the conference! If it had not been for Fred Picker's Zone VI Workshop and your magazines (as it used to be called View Camera - The Journal of Large Format Photography) I would not have had the boldness to expose 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10. Due to the articles in the VCM I started to appreciate and expose negatives using old LF lenses. In my busy medical field, I receive many fliers (at least once a month, via Fax) concerning medical conferences following the original conference pamphlets. People do forget! The majority of people forgot 9/11.

View Camera Conference

Without getting weepy about this...this is a comercial listing, complete with a website address. One posting is adequate.

View Camera Conference

Come on guys give poor old Steve a break - it's a psychological affliction he has no control over, a set of maxims to live by if you will - never take no for answer, always have the last word, push everything as far as you can, always outlive your welcome and if you are told the limit to something is one try for at least three or four.

View Camera Conference

I agree. Steve is wanting to make sure that everyone has had an opportunity to consider the conference. If I were in his shoes, I would be doing the same thing. Sure hope that it is successful. It will be interesting to see how this one fares in attendance to the past ones in New Mexico.Unfortunately, there is no middle grey when it comes to California. It either works for you or it simply does not.

View Camera Conference

I agree completely with Tito and Michael. I’ve always assumed that “non-repetitive” was the appropriately vague way of saying “tastefully infrequent.” As far as I’m concerned, Steve has met that standard under any reasonable view. I have low tolerance for nagging myself, so if these reminders were coming out every day or every week, I could see someone being bothered. But if I found one reminder a month to be unduly repetitive or irritating, I'd never have managed to cope with marriage and/or children.

View Camera Conference

I've repeated the info becasue there are new people listening and joining is all the time. Also, I am not sure this is a commercial announcement as the trade show is free as is the field trip to Pt. Lobos. You do not have to buy or pay for anything.

steve simmons