Thread: 8x10 developing tray insert

8x10 developing tray insert

There are several older post on the board about slosher trays or developing tray inserts. I've been using one of these (Sumitek Cradle) for the last year with 4x5 film and it works great. I moved up to 8x10 this past December and have been looking for the same type of tray for 8x10 without any luck. The other day I noticed that Photographer's Formulary is now selling their own version of the Cradle for 4x5 negatives so I decided to check with them to ask about a version for 8x10's. I just got off the phone with Bud at Photographers Formulary and he said that they are thinking about having a 8x10 negative version built and selling it on their website. If anyone is interested they might want to let him know that there is interest in a product like this. This is a link to the page for their 4x5 version in case anyone isn't familiar with slosher trays:

http://www.photoformulary.com/DesktopModules/StoreProductDetails.aspx?productID=856&tabid=0&tabindex=0&categoryid=0&selection=0&langId=0&Search=tray

Mike, I am about to try a ready-made solution — the Paterson High Speed Print Washers (for Resin-Coated Papers). I have three of the 16x12 model which I use for a rinse between fixer and hypo-clear. They have small divider pegs which will provie either two or four equa;l sized compartments. I shall be placing a shim under one end to make the inner tray level and processing two 8x10s (emulsion side up) at a time in between 1 litre and 2 litres of solution depending upon what chemistry and dilution I am using. At a pinch, once the developer is finished with and the negs have been long enough in the fix to turn the white lights on I guess the tray could be emptied, rinsed and used again for an intermediate wash.

My final wash I do in a vertical wash tank using clip hangers.

Check out the Paterson Print Washers here:

http://www.patersonphotographic.com/accessories/page2.html#bottom

The Paterson Print Washer tray looks interesting. Let me know how it works out for developing 8x10's.