Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom cabinets?

Darkroom cabinets?

Anyone know of a good style, source, or manufacture of darkroom cabinets?

Thanks,

Jay

Re: Darkroom cabinets?

I use a heavy electronics workbench as an enlarger stand. The Formica top weighs about 250lbs and is supported by steel cabinets with movable shelves. Makes an excellent darkroom accessory and can often be got for the price of gas and labor to pick it up. Craigslist can be a great source if you're building a darkroom.

I've got an Ikea darkroom. Went together quick and plenty solid. Near me there is a big architectural salvage place that also sold cabinet seconds from various shops- perhaps you might find a cabinet shop and ask about getting what they take out or about seconds.

I built the cabinets for my first and now second (hopefully last) darkroom. I built them 42" high so I don't have to bend over, 30" deep to have plenty of worktop space, adjustable shelves, and no doors on the cabinets since I could see no need for them.

is there such a thing?
    I built mine but I'd search craigslist for someone doing a remodel. maybe get there old cabinets.

What country are you in? I got these units from Home Depot. They came in a flat box and assembled easily with a screwdriver.

In my first darkroom, I used a sink cabinet from Home Depot and just put a flat formica top on it. I didn't move it when I moved to PA. In my current one, I went to a salvage place and found two cabinets that had likely been in a hospital X-ray room (big slots underneath) and got a huge door for the top. The local Home Depot didn't have the same ones and I needed more space 'cause I added an enlarger when I moved. My engineer hubby ("no such thing as over-engineered") bolted it all together. I'd post a picture, but I'd have to do a bit of cleaning so you could see the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    What country are you in? I got these units from Home Depot. They came in a flat box and assembled easily with a screwdriver.
    I am in the US. The Home Depot units look nice.

I am deviding a room in my basement and am thinking about making a darkroom 8 or 9 feet wide about 15 feet long. I'll use it for developing film, wet plate, and gum over Pd printing. I have some money available for the project, so I'd like to build a nice space. But, it would be nice to build a nice space without great expenditure...

Thanks for the ideas, please keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I got these units from Home Depot.
    Me too, 'cept mine were discounts from OSH:

I believe the Home Depot cabinets shown are Mill's Pride which were sold flat-packed and you assemble them yourself. I used them in my darkroom in California about ten years ago. When I last checked (4 years or so ago) Home Depot no longer stocked them, but only offered much more expensive prefab (already assembled) cabinets. I found cabinets at Ikea similar in style and quality to the Mill's Pride cabinets and which appeared to be perfectly suited for a darkroom. I haven't outfitted a darkroom since the California time, but thought if I did, I would go back to Ikea. The price was much more favorable than what Home Depot seems to be offering now. YMMV, of course.