Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sharper Imagon Examples

Re: Sharper Imagon Examples

Disk 2 H=7,7 - H=9,5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04-imagon-disk-2-open.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	81511 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05-imagon-disk-2-closed.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	81512

Disk 3 H=9,5 - H=11,5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06-imagon-disk-3-open.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	81513 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07-imagon-disk-3-closed.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	81514

Hope this helps!

Maurits

When I found my 200mm Imagon 4 years ago it came boxed with 3 disks and a ND filter, mounted in a Sinar engraved barrel attached to Sinar board. I went looking for info and found some. I will need to find it and I will post. Since I have converted to the scan back my new format is 72X96. The lens is well suited to this format. I have still the older P 8X10 kit and viewing the GG the lens does light up the larger format.

Here is an excerpt from an email that I got from my inquiry. Keep in mind that the light ratio is maybe the most important factor. The above samples from Maurits are well done but they only tell one side of the story and that is images shot in soft overcast light.

The 'H' is coming from the German 'HELLIGHEIT', meaning 'clearness — brightness' and, in this case, the amount of light that is available to expose the film when the disc is mounted and opened ore closed (and all the steps between that). These discs are no real apertures, the centre hole, which is not changing when turning the disc's ring, is perhaps somewhat like an aperture, but the little holes around it are regulating the amount of optic (spheric-) aberrations and also the transmission of light. One might not forget that a so called 'soft' image is more brighter than a rather 'normal-to-hard' image. A soft image 'contains' more light and, by this, is exposing the film whit that typical amount of light.
    The Imagon whit out a disc is far more softer, thus more brighter (hell), than an other lens of the same focal length and diameter (opening).
    So, each disc has a fixed pseudo aperture and a very own amount of light transmission via the perepheric holes. This is why each disc, and the lens not having an aperture only a diameter and typical (aberrated) light coming through (!), is considered to have a HELLIGHET (brightness) and not a F number.
    You will see that, when the disc with the highest H value is mounted and closed, there is far less light 'coming through' than compared to a normal working lens with a normal aperture system and closed to the same amount, if you understand what I mean.
    Helligheit has to do with the (artistic?) effect of the amount of light, and aperture with the mathematic amount of light (energy), reaching the film.

I hope, dear Samuel, that my pidgin English was clear (bright) enough, so that you could understand all what was to do about 'H'.
    Last edited by Adamphotoman; 6-Oct-2012 at 09:48. Reason: add something

Information on Seth Broder's site Camera Eccentric
    http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/imagon_2.html

Attachment 81589Attachment 81590Attachment 81591Attachment 81592Here are 2 images shot with the smallest H-9.5 / H-11.5 disk
    9.5 is with the (tea strainer) holes fully opened which introduces aberrations.
    11.5 is with the (tea strainer) holes fully closed, and this is as sharp as it gets with the supplied hardware unless you use a smaller opening with the shuttered aperture.

Shot 100% on a Betterlight Super 6 K. Since the Betterlight does absolutely no sharpening. I used USM values 150 / .07 pixel 0 threshold.
    Then I cropped.
    If anyone wants a full sized image I can send one via WE Transfer.

Some original product literature in the Rodenstock section of this pdf:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/.../Prod...rmatLenses.pdf

Sorry about that. The link is not working. Just Google Imagon bhphoto and you will see a pdf.