Thread: Grinding out linhof style front standard for 90xl rear element. Problems?

Grinding out linhof style front standard for 90xl rear element. Problems?

I have a Wista and am getting a Technikardan. I have a Schneider 90mm xl, the rear element of which won't fit through the hole in the front standard. I can remove the rear element and then re-attach it once the lensboard is on. That whole process is a huge pain though. Is there any reason for the circular opening to be so small? Can I just cut/grind the hole another 1/4 inch wider to accomodate the XL? I don't want to trash my cameras but it would solve the single problem in an otherwise great camera system (for me anyway).
    Any advice is appreciated, also I know some skilled metal people to do the work, not on my own with a hacksaw
    Jesse

Re: Grinding out linhof style front standard for 90xl rear element. Problems?

Jesse,

If you look closely at the hole you will notice a step that continues around the hole. This matches the circular step on the back of a Technika lensboard. These work together to form a light baffle to reduce light from getting into the camera from the side.

Whether it is required, or over-engineering by the Linhof elves I cannot say, but it did cost more to do it that way and if the manufacturer spends additional money on something few would notice, I would pause and consider for some time before modifying it...

Just my thoughts from an engineering and manufacturing perspective, although it has been some time since I played in those areas...

I would continue with the PITA of removing and re-installing the rear element, rather than modify the front standard,

Len

Are you getting the original 90mm XL or the newer version with the removable ring on the back lens group so it will fit through the hole.

The front standard of a current Linhof Technika/TK/Techno was designed decades before Schneider even started to think of a XL lens series. The question is why didn't Schneider consider the opening size when they designed the lens?

Schneider did exactly the same thing while I was Product Manager for Beseler enlargers. Beseler was one of Schneider's largest customers in the USA and when they re-designed the Componon series in the early 70's they designed the lens so that it would not function on a Beseler 23 or 45 series enlarger. When we were informed by users that the lens would not allow full use on the enlarger we called Schneider and they sent a bunch of people to Florham Park, NJ to see the problem for themselves in Beseler's offices. They decided that there was no immediate solution and that was why Beseler switched from Schneider to Komuranon lenses at the start of the 70's.

You would think that lens designers would look at the market and ask for drawings of the mounts for the most popular cameras/enlargers before final design to make sure that everything fits.

With the 90mm XL they did modify the lens to fit. On older versions of the lens you can mount it to a camera with a Technika mount by removing the rear group, mounting the lens on the camera, remove the GG back from the camera and screw the rear group back onto the shutter.

If you have the later version with the removeable ring make sure you don't place the lens down on the rear group with that ring removed. The elements can then rest on whatever surface you placed the lens on.

However, a 90mm 4.5 Grandagon-N fits with no issues and you gain a half stop for focusing!

I have the version with the removable ring, that was my other thought but I haven't actually bothered to try it as it leaves the edges of the rear glass a little unprotected for my taste. Thanks to both of you for the advice I think I will stick with the ring removal if that fits rather than messing with the camera.
    Much appreciated
    Jesse

[

QUOTE=Bob Salomon - HP Marketing;938546]Are you getting the original 90mm XL or the newer version with the removable ring on the back lens group so it will fit through the hole.

The front standard of a current Linhof Technika/TK/Techno was designed decades before Schneider even started to think of a XL lens series. The question is why didn't Schneider consider the opening size when they designed the lens?

Schneider did exactly the same thing while I was Product Manager for Beseler enlargers. Beseler was one of Schneider's largest customers in the USA and when they re-designed the Componon series in the early 70's they designed the lens so that it would not function on a Beseler 23 or 45 series enlarger. When we were informed by users that the lens would not allow full use on the enlarger we called Schneider and they sent a bunch of people to Florham Park, NJ to see the problem for themselves in Beseler's offices. They decided that there was no immediate solution and that was why Beseler switched from Schneider to Komuranon lenses at the start of the 70's.

You would think that lens designers would look at the market and ask for drawings of the mounts for the most popular cameras/enlargers before final design to make sure that everything fits.

With the 90mm XL they did modify the lens to fit. On older versions of the lens you can mount it to a camera with a Technika mount by removing the rear group, mounting the lens on the camera, remove the GG back from the camera and screw the rear group back onto the shutter.

If you have the later version with the removeable ring make sure you don't place the lens down on the rear group with that ring removed. The elements can then rest on whatever surface you placed the lens on.

However, a 90mm 4.5 Grandagon-N fits with no issues and you gain a half stop for focusing![/QUOTE]