Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: b/w scanning quality question

Re: b/w scanning quality question

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I would be interested to hear how a Cone ink set could be adapted to a Epson 7800 stylus pro. I wouldn't mind giving his Piezo inks a go but do not know how to go about modifying the printer I have.
    It would be interesting to compare prints done by both methods.
    Bob,

There is nothing to "modify". All you have to do take Epson cartridges out and put Cone's in.

If you want to save a few dollars of ink you can use some flushing carts to clear the old ink out.

Then you print... the results are superior, you can save a bundle by buying inks in bulk. There's simply no reason not to... unless you have to switch back and forth between color printing and b&w.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Hi Lenny

Well switching back and forth is a consideration from colour to BW as my we have both types of project. This is a printer at home so I would be interested in doing this, as we can bundle our work to
    balance colour from BW. Laura and I are making a series of ink prints for sale next year and I want the colour and BW ink prints to look as best as I can manage.

I am not at home right now but silly question the Epson 7800 stylus pro uses K3 inks , a series of black and white and colour cartridges.. So what exactly would I be purchasing from Cone Inks as I
    have never used his product . How many black inks and what is the order for putting in the cartridges... maybe a silly question again.
    I was at Sandy's recently and his printer is set up for piezo, but due to a monster bout of gout and a learning session with him on carbon I didn't even think to look, other than viewing his piezo prints which were very nice, I was more concerned to sit down and rest rather than discuss his inks on the machine.

Would I be looking at creating a custom profile with his inks afterwords?.. that once again could be a silly question.

thanks Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    Bob,

There is nothing to "modify". All you have to do take Epson cartridges out and put Cone's in.

If you want to save a few dollars of ink you can use some flushing carts to clear the old ink out.

Then you print... the results are superior, you can save a bundle by buying inks in bulk. There's simply no reason not to... unless you have to switch back and forth between color printing and b&w.

Lenny

Bob,

To see what options for printing with K7 inks on an Epson 7800 go to http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....tegory.1333/.f

Give me a call if you want to talk about this. It is not that complicated. The only problem I have is that wife does not like where the printer is located. But a large printer is kind of like something that is broken in the house, i.e. if it goes without repair for more than two or three months it becomes invisible.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Thanks Sandy ... I fondly remember your describing to Jeri and I how slick that unit looked in the room, I don't think she bought it one bit.

I will look into your link and see were I end up.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Bob,

To see what options for printing with K7 inks on an Epson 7800 go to http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....tegory.1333/.f

Give me a call if you want to talk about this. It is not that complicated. The only problem I have is that wife does not like where the printer is located. But a large printer is kind of like something that is broken in the house, i.e. if it goes without repair for more than two or three months it becomes invisible.

Sandy

Hi Lenny

Well switching back and forth is a consideration from colour to BW as my we have both types of project. This is a printer at home so I would be interested in doing this, as we can bundle our work to balance colour from BW. Laura and I are making a series of ink prints for sale next year and I want the colour and BW ink prints to look as best as I can manage.
    Switching back and forth would be a pain. I takes a while to clean inks out.

I am not at home right now but silly question the Epson 7800 stylus pro uses K3 inks , a series of black and white and colour cartridges.. So what exactly would I be purchasing from Cone Inks as I have never used his product . How many black inks and what is the order for putting in the cartridges... maybe a silly question again.
    Same number of cartridges, just all different dilutions of black. I think QTR would probably be your best bet, unless you already have StudioPrint for some other reason. QTR is inexpensive, works well, and there are many available custom profiles. As Sandy said, check out Cone's site...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    Switching back and forth would be a pain. I takes a while to clean inks out
    Lenny
    Switching back and forth is also very expensive with a big printer like the 7800 as you have to push a lot of ink through the lines to change over from one ink set to another. Not sure exactly how much ink that is, but I would think it would be at least around 200-300 ml.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Before this thread fades away, I've got another, possibly ridiculous, question: Would the flatbed scanner have to set perfectly level on my table? My "man cave/light room" is in the semi-finished part of my basement, and the floor is sloped slightly from the wall toward the middle of the room. Consequently, my work table is sloped toward me when I'm sitting at it (picture pens and pencils rolling into my lap). And would any printer I purchase also have to set level on the table? Would not being level impede the operation of the scanner and the printer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    Before this thread fades away, I've got another, possibly ridiculous, question: Would the flatbed scanner have to set perfectly level on my table? My "man cave/light room" is in the semi-finished part of my basement, and the floor is sloped slightly from the wall toward the middle of the room. Consequently, my work table is sloped toward me when I'm sitting at it (picture pens and pencils rolling into my lap). And would any printer I purchase also have to set level on the table? Would not being level impede the operation of the scanner and the printer?
    It is probably not an issue, but it would be so easy to shim up the feet to level the device I can't think of a reason not to.

Rick "who thinks felt pads as shims might damp some vibration, too" Denney

My Epson 700 scanner eats a lot of dust. I could use it, but early on I decided I was going "all wet" and have stuck with it. I simply prefer to spend the time required for the "steep learning curve" to be dedicated more productively to actually doing stuff in the darkroom.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    My Epson 700 scanner eats a lot of dust. I could use it, but early on I decided I was going "all wet" and have stuck with it. I simply prefer to spend the time required for the "steep learning curve" to be dedicated more productively to actually doing stuff in the darkroom.
    Of course, that wasn't the question.

And not everyone has a darkroom, or the ability to construct one.

Rick "who has built several darkrooms in several houses, but not this one" Denney