Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheap 11x14 film holders on ebay

Re: Cheap 11x14 film holders on ebay

"purposeful cross grain construction" is plywood, which is merely sheets of veneer glued up with the grain alternating. you are probably familiar with construction grade plywood made from peeled softwood, rather than sawn veneer hardwood plywood.

No raw wood is as structurally stable over time as plywood, which has been the material of choice for stability for thousands of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    "purposeful cross grain construction" is plywood, which is merely sheets of veneer glued up with the grain alternating. you are probably familiar with construction grade plywood made from peeled softwood, rather than sawn veneer hardwood plywood.

No raw wood is as structurally stable over time as plywood, which has been the material of choice for stability for thousands of years.
    All I know is that I have seen countless wooden film holders in all sizes over the years from pre 1900 to current day and I have never seen or heard of a serious photographer using a holder that has any plywood in it. My experience is that plywood is inherently heavier than some of the hardwoods such as cherry wood used in holders. Net weight is one of the design criteria of ULF holders and that takes certain materials off of the listing for consideration.

At the end of the day I want to make photographs and have a film holder that works well and lasts.

Last I looked there were 10 available, now 5 with 5 sold. Price is competitive, if they work then who cares, its just a film holder anyway. They dont fit in my dodgy camera.

Yep, I bought five of them and will post a report after I get them. I use Chamonix holdesr and they are excellent but I only have 3.. If these are any good at all, they'll be a real luxury!

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    Last I looked there were 10 available, now 5 with 5 sold. Price is competitive, if they work then who cares, its just a film holder anyway. They dont fit in my dodgy camera.
    If you have not photographed with a ULF camera you have no idea how critical a holder is to the process and how easy it is to fog a negative. The flatness of the holder and how it mates with the camera, the ability of the slide light trap to properly work and the light integrity of the flap end. I have even experienced light leaks around the sides of the grooves so I ended up painting these areas flat black.

I hope that Evan has a positive experience with these as it will not take long to reach a conclusion one way or another.

I make about five or six sheets a week with my 11x14 so I think I can test all ten sides in pretty short order. I hope they are good, too. With a few more holders I might put all the smaller formats away for a while..

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    I make about five or six sheets a week with my 11x14 so I think I can test all ten sides in pretty short order. I hope they are good, too. With a few more holders I might put all the smaller formats away for a while..
    Fingers crossed....

My 11x14 camera does not take standard holders, the rib is in the wrong place, I have 2 standard holders and never have I had a light leak.

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    My 11x14 camera does not take standard holders, the rib is in the wrong place, I have 2 standard holders and never have I had a light leak.
    So you have either a very old or a custom made 11x14 camera because the 11x14 format has been a recognized ANSI industry standard. I use S&S and Fidelity Medical holders interchangeably.

Rib lock: 16.160"