Thread: Frozen Strobes and Batteries Left Out in the Winter

Frozen Strobes and Batteries Left Out in the Winter

I have a pretty good idea that it is not a wise thing to store my AC strobe packs and Lithium batteries in the garage over the Winter, when the temperatures can go well below freezing for weeks. But I have traveled with strobes in cars and airplanes that have obviously been frozen, as well as used them in below freezing weather. What's the worst case scenario?

What about leaving them in a packed car overnight in the cold for a few nights?

Re: Frozen Strobes and Batteries Left Out in the Winter

If you're referring to the Paul Buff mini-lithiums, I've "accidentally"(really) left my pack(only have one, but (2) batteries) out in the backyard overnight...

If you've already done this, and are asking about effects on the packs after sitting for a while, IDK. But personally, I'd NOT store batteries in the cold for any extended period of time. I'd just put them under a bed, or in the back of a closet inside the house.

Personally I figure "if I'm comfortable, so are they "

-Dan

YMMV. The liquids in electrolytic capacitors and batteries often are at least partially water based - however, almost all capacitors and most currently common batteries contain enough other solvents and salts to be immune against freezing damage (at least for temperatures that occur in normally inhabited regions). But some, especially older ones, might get permanently damaged - and even more will need reforming (which may or may not require disassembly) to return to their full rating after having been frozen for long periods.

I would not be concerned about lithium batteries in particular - these usually won't only survive without damage, but are even rated to deliver their nominal current down to -20°C or beyond.
    Last edited by Sevo; 1-Oct-2012 at 12:12.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    If you're referring to the Paul Buff mini-lithiums, I've "accidentally"(really) left my pack(only have one, but (2) batteries) out in the backyard overnight...

If you've already done this, and are asking about effects on the packs after sitting for a while, IDK. But personally, I'd NOT store batteries in the cold for any extended period of time. I'd just put them under a bed, or in the back of a closet inside the house.

Personally I figure "if I'm comfortable, so are they "

-Dan
    Yeah but LA weather isn't real weather.... you only have to worry about riots, earthquakes, and mudslides.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Yeah but LA weather isn't real weather.... you only have to worry about riots, earthquakes, and mudslides.
    Hey... I object. It's going to be over 100 deg F today. We have real weather. It was even foggy near the coast this morning.

Is the air still yellowish brown?
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Isn't it that color everywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Isn't it that color everywhere?
    No.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Hey Frank,

A quick check of Wikipedia on Lithium Ion bats looks like cold temps are better as it extends the life of the battery (slowing self discharge). From the http://ultralifecorporation.com/ site, their bats are spec'ed for -30C (-22F) storage. Granted these are not the same bats used in the strobes but should be somewhat similar for storage temps. Perhaps the strobe mfg could address this or supply the mfg / part number of the bats, then the datasheet could be checked for definitive answer.

If I were to store in the garage I'd make sure to plastic bag well so corrosive fumes from auto-engine won't cause detrimental effects.

Stay Warm!

Tim

-22F is probably about right. I remember Rochester winters...

-Brian