Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens advise for Grand Circle Tour

Re: Lens advise for Grand Circle Tour

I naturally gravitate toward longer lenses, so keep that in mind. It's just the way I see things.

I have backpacked into the grand canyon a couple of times. Last time I carried a TLR (mamiya), tripod, and a couple of lenses. I used the 135mm the most. I guess translating to 4x5, that would be about like a 210, more or less.

Get below the rim at the Canyon, if you can. Even if you just take the Bright Angel trail to the 1.5 mile rest house, or the South Kaibab trail to its first really big viewpoint, "Ohh Ahh Point", or some similar name. I have found the GC hard to photograph well, and have seen few truly compelling photos of the canyon. The grandness of it is difficult to capture. It tends to be hazy there. As usual, sunrise and sunset have interesting happenings with the light.

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    90, 150, 210
    ditto. but it would by nice to sneak a 300mm Nikkor in there...

I just hiked South Kailaib down to Cedar Ridge past Ooh Ahh Point this afternoon. I didn't take the 4x5 as I had nothing but clear skies and didn't relish the climb back up with 16kg of LF on my back! It was hard enough with 2 litres of water and a Leica! I really think the Grand Canyon was the least impressive landscape (photographically) that I have visited.
    Zion is a must. I want to be back there now. Arches is great but logistically difficult. It's an hour drive to get one end of the park and back again. But its an extraordinary landscape. I'd really encourage you to explore some of the other stuff close by as well. I loved the stuff out along SB 128 and the La Sal Mtn Loop road. Also drive the SB 12 and 24 from Bryce (if you go there!) towards Moab. Stay at Boulder and take a look out the Burr Trail. Finding those little back roads is where the gems are...
    Monument Valley is great but photographically lousy with out clouds. So it is hit and miss on what it's like when you are there. You won't be able to take your RV on the scenic drive there either. And guides are patchy.
    The best advice I got was to look at Laurent Martres books Photographing the South West. They are fantastic and have been an absolutely invaluable resource all through my trip. So thanks to who ever suggested that!
    Get the books. You still have 8 days to plan!
    Sorry if this is a bit disjointed....it's all just tumbling out from my memory over the past few weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    IDK -- I found one spot down in Bryce Canyon that a 135mm may work.

But at least I know why my photos in Antelope Canyon back in 1985 did not work -- I was using my 150mm on the 4x5...what an idiot I am!
    They didn't stop you at the gate? They inspected my camera bag last time I was at Bryce. I figured they had to be looking for unsuitable lenses.

Rick "who had to smuggle in the 14mm lens for the Canon" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by Boinzo View Post
    It's an hour drive to get one end of the park and back again. But its an extraordinary landscape.
    Good thing you didn't want to photograph the Chocolate Drops, or Lizard Rock, or Chesler Park, all in Canyonlands, and all as spectacular as anything in Arches. The key to getting away from people is to seek out the places that are hard to get to. The Chocolate Drops can be easily photographed from the Maze Overlook. I don't know the condition of the road now, but when I was there last it required eight hours of determined driving from the park boundary, after 90 minutes from that row of Tuff-Sheds that passed for a motel in Hanksville. No people. But the film was fogged by some other unexplained problem, so I'm gonna have to go back someday while I'm still determined enough to take on that jeep trail.

Rick "who will now be outdone by those whose favorite spots are two days of backcountry hiking from the nearest jeep trail" Denney

I was up at Horseshoe Bend a couple months ago. I brought a 90 and it was cutting it very close. I think a 75 would be a little better fit for that location. It's best at sunrise.

-DP

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    ditto. but it would by nice to sneak a 300mm Nikkor in there...
    I'm gonna third that, off the lenses you listed, those are the three I would bring. I was in many of the places you're going this year, and my kit was a 90, 180, and 270 and it served me well. Do you have a roll film back? If you're trying to keep the weight/size of what you're bringing down, it can be a space saver. You're going to want to shoot a TON of film. Believe me.

It also adds versatility by making allowing all of your lenses to double as longer lenses on the smaller format. Just a suggestion.

Congrats on this trip in any case. You'll being seeing some of the most beautiful and unique places the planet has to offer. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    They didn't stop you at the gate? They inspected my camera bag last time I was at Bryce. I figured they had to be looking for unsuitable lenses.

Yes, the NPS is trying to maintain a certain aesthetic in the photographs taken in the parks. Best to go online and get the list of approved focal lengths for the particular park and format you will be shooting. Although it's not an issue for large format photographers there is talk of banning zoom lens altogether.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post

They just made me promise to come back with an 8x10...and a more acceptable range of lenses. (I now have for the 8x10: 210/250/300/480/600, and a 159 if I really have to.) I hope they will let me slide for not having a 360.

Thanks all again. I have two roll film back. One is the all metal like film holder and weight a lot. One is international back but can't fit on my woodfield. I have 8X10 with 180, 210, 240, 300, 360 and 420. Too heavy to carry for this trip that need to hike. Found a lighter weight Rodenstock 210mm f/6.8 in hand, may be fit to my need on light weight. My freezer still have six boxes of quickload, hope enough.